The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
tanner

Unhappy removing body

Hey guys, I'm 16 and have a 71 k5 blazer. I am wanting to remove the body and clean the frame up real good. I am new to this and have no clue what all has to be romoved or how to remove it . Does anyone have step by step instruction. Thanks you guys have been a great help so far. the other day i asked about remove the intrument panel and after help from you guys had no problem.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: removing body

Lots of stuff to consider when removing the body.

One thing to be sure of...

body is braced in some way [supports welded in to reduce/eliminate body flex] - if the body is pretty solid - it might not be an issue.

Do a search for 'removing blazer body' in the search section up top. Here is a post that is pretty recent:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370937
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
SeventyOne

Re: removing body

This is really going to depend on how far you are going to tear into the truck.

For me I stripped the entire trucks interior, removed the top, tailgate, doors (this is why bracing may be necessary is you have rot), front clip, bumpers.

Then I removed any connection from body to frame - steering column, auto tranny linkage, wiring, fuel filler lines, wiring, oil pressure/other dash lines, wiring, brake lines from master, wiring, ground straps...did I mention wiring? There may be a few other misc. things I am forgetting but I just took the body off 6 weeks ago and that seems about it. Then I undid the body mount bolts (some were rusted solid and required persuasion ) but after EVERYTHING was loose I had a small army (10 people) lift the body, one person rolls the frame out, another rolls the dolly under and boom done.

Now like I said it depends on how far into the truck you want to go - which changes your options - if you don't want to take off the doors, tailgate, top, interior, etc that's a ton more weight to lift off and I don't think my method works anymore - look for hydraulic lifts or cherry picker methods.

If you want to see how I did it read here - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=385110
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote