The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
jay55jay

Leaky Cab

So I have another question redid the whole interior new carpet dash covering the whole 9. After a heavy rain I noticed the floor on the driver and passenger side was wet kinda right by the kick panel. It did not seem to be from the door jams. Can this be from the windshield or something else any easy fix. Jay
jay55jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

Re: Leaky Cab

mine is leaking somewhere high on the firewall. i'm thinking its coming through the cowl. i think that there is a drain hole in there somewhere that is more than likely clogged up.

you may want to check that out

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
jay55jay

yea I think thats where mine is the inner firewall padding felt damp I will have to inspect that then it's so annoying.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

let me know what you find out.
i havent gotten around to taking mine apart yet

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

how aree your door seals mine leaked from there and it congregated by the vent .. ive also seen cabs that have a leak by the windshield you wont find unless you take it out.... try this after you check your firewall

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
bucannon
Salty Sailor

ive got the same problem, and i took off the cowl and found some small rust holes. so i cleaned it up put down a thick bead of silicone and painted over that...... it still leaks but not as bad i guess.

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Turbo85GMC

Drill holes in the floor to let the water out.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Jay, does yours have AC? I did a frame off overhaul of mine and discovered the seals around the kick panels was shifted. The only way to see them is to pull the panel. Next, and this would apply to Willet and the others also. If you have rust "Trace" on the firewall, the leak is at the lower flange of the windshield. Mine was heavily rusted there and had to rebuild the flange with fiberglass. Only way to actually see it is to remove the windshield. I tried to remove mine and broke it, so I had a glass guy put in a new one after repair was done. So far so good, only minor leak that will be fixed after I find someone to wet sand and buff out. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
jay55jay

LOL I like the drill holes in the floor idea LOL Yes it has A/C is there any way to just caulk a small bead at the window seal.?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Calking around the windshield, especially at the bottom where the leak is, will only make the problem worse. The leak is from holes in the steel flange itself and thats what has to be fixed. Get a glass guy to remove the glass for you if you haven't done it before. I've taken windshields out before and still broke my own. Fix the flange and use a strip of fiberglass all the way round. Make sure your repair is very smooth and flat, prime and paint repair area and have glss guy put your glass back in with a new gasket. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Calking around the windshield, especially at the bottom where the leak is, will only make the problem worse. The leak is from holes in the steel flange itself and thats what has to be fixed. Get a glass guy to remove the glass for you if you haven't done it before. I've taken windshields out before and still broke my own. Fix the flange and use a strip of fiberglass all the way round. Make sure your repair is very smooth and flat, prime and paint repair area and have glss guy put your glass back in with a new gasket. Jim
My broken windshield didn't leak but the new one does and I have a bunch of wind noise now that wasn't there before. The new seal didn't fit as tightly as the stock part did so now I have to pull mine out and either get a better seal or use sealant on the flange and around the glass in the new one I already have. You may have the same problem if you have a replacement seal on the windshield.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote