The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
Cookie

hydro brakes help !

Hey guys got a question i got a 1983 chevy 6.2 its got hydro assist well i went to replace my brakes today. I replaced the pads, calipers and rotors after bleeding them and putting it all back together i couldn't get any pedal pressure back. after multiple times bleeding them it did not help still have perfect power steering just absoultly no brakes, the pedal pressure was fine before I replaced everything but now nothing .... any help would be great because i can't figure it out Thanks everyone
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...101/img110.jpgMy 98 Trans Am Ls1 6speed trans am's new motorhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/jeath101/067.jpg http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/jeath101/018.jpg 1986 gmc jimmy 350/sm465 with 33's
1983 Chevrolet K20 SM465 6.2 diesel with 305,000 miles,gm8 turbo, 4:11s and 14ff
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
fat57

Re: hydro brakes help !

Hi I always bleed them with the motor running and start at the right rear first
hope it helps ..mark
FAT57CUSTOMS
fat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Cookie. Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean no insult if I'm right. Where are the bleeder screws on the calipers? Do they face up or down? If they are facing down you have the calipers on the wrong side. I have seen guys do this quite a few times over the years. You could bleed them this way for days and not get the air out. If they are correct (bleeders pointing up), open all the bleeders and leave them that way and wait for them to drip on thier own. It helps to leave the cap off the master, especially if its an aluminum master. After they drip close them up. Get a piece of vac hose that will fit over the bleeder and a coke bottle half full of brake fluid. Open right rear bleeder, put hose on bleeder and wait for a drip then put the hose in the bottle and watch air bubble out of the hose. When you see that, go pump the brakes a little bit. Now close the bleeder and go to left rear, then right front, then left front. This will force air out and prevent any from getting back in when you release the pedal. I have to work alone and have done this hundreds of times. Asside from getting the job done, theres no mess and you don't loose any fluid. You can also monitor how much fluid you using so the master won't go dry on you. If you have any questions call me at 518-581-1622 and I'll walk you thru it. 33 years working for GM and most of that on our trucks. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Cookie

hey thanks jim and fat57 after work today i continued to bleed the brakes i checked the calipers there facing up so i started on the right rear and all the way around the truck i finished and they work great now.I did it by myself like you said jim and i think it helped working by myself Thanks again
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...101/img110.jpgMy 98 Trans Am Ls1 6speed trans am's new motorhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/jeath101/067.jpg http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/jeath101/018.jpg 1986 gmc jimmy 350/sm465 with 33's
1983 Chevrolet K20 SM465 6.2 diesel with 305,000 miles,gm8 turbo, 4:11s and 14ff
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Cookie: Glad to have been a help. It's my time to give back. I spent 33 years in the automotive field as a mechanic and despite my age I do remember what it was like to be against a wall and needing advice or instruction, especially when it was something on my own vehicle giving me fits. I might not always have an answer but if I do I'll tell ya, and if I don't I'll tell ya that too. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote