The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #26
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: dumping dump bed

thanks alot for all the info fellas...now I just need to get the seller in here so he can see all this and see what he can figure out on the bed...I really appreciate it...thanks
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #27
fixit-p

Here are a couple of power units the cheaper one is a single acting high/low system (power up gravity down) the more expensive one is double acting (power up power down). I saw a brand new monarch power unit sell at propertyroom.com for $120 but thats hit and miss.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...msRender.shtml
In the photo RuralRoute C-30 posted you can see the fuel filler is attached to the chassis, in your pic it looks like the filler mounting plate may be attached to the body IMO thats the best clue, get a better photo of that area. These bodies can be monted either way dump or static with the hinge as the rear attachment point regardless.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #28
palposity

Hey folks. I am the seller. Sorry for the confusion. This truck had the dump bed on it when I bought it about two years ago. The guy I bought it from stated that he put it on in the hopes of installing a hydraulic hoist down the line. There is currently no system to dump it. It is simply a dump bed with two hinges on the rear and a latch/lever on the front to release it. The lever by the driver door is the release lever.
FAT HOE--Sorry for the miscommunication--my only hesitation is on the condition of the hinges. Since I have never been able to operate this bed I don't know how freely they will swing. I will try to lube them up and exercise them this weekend. The bed has no type of crank mechanism to dump it. I agree with the earlier post where someone said it was probably too heavy duty for a crank mechanism anyway. If you wanted something with a crank mechanism I would certainly understand if this does not work for you.
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #29
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there should be fittings like on a tie rod end or a ball joint on the hinges and you lube them with the grease gun just like the front end and you use the same kind of grease. If you know the maker of the dump bed you can replace the hinge pins which make dumping easier.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #30
palposity

Yep...it does have grease fittings and I hit those with the grease gun. I just need to rig up a pulley system to raise the bed to verify hinge operation. No clue on the manufacturer of the bed though
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #31
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there should be some kind of a metal tag stamped by the manufacturer on the driver side rear or the cab side with the manufacturer on it

You could pull it up with prolly a come along and a tow chain or even a chain hoist

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #32
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by palposity View Post
Hey folks. I am the seller. Sorry for the confusion. This truck had the dump bed on it when I bought it about two years ago. The guy I bought it from stated that he put it on in the hopes of installing a hydraulic hoist down the line. There is currently no system to dump it. It is simply a dump bed with two hinges on the rear and a latch/lever on the front to release it. The lever by the driver door is the release lever.
FAT HOE--Sorry for the miscommunication--my only hesitation is on the condition of the hinges. Since I have never been able to operate this bed I don't know how freely they will swing. I will try to lube them up and exercise them this weekend. The bed has no type of crank mechanism to dump it. I agree with the earlier post where someone said it was probably too heavy duty for a crank mechanism anyway. If you wanted something with a crank mechanism I would certainly understand if this does not work for you.
Charlie, I definitely still want it...I did misunderstand you...I thought you didn't know whether it actually dumped or was stationary...either way, I still want it, just wanted to know how to tell and how to equip it to dump if it didn't...thanks for coming in here and clarifying things for me and the others...if you want, I can pm you my number and we can talk some more on this after you get out to the shop to look at it...thanks buddy
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #33
FLEET72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
Charlie, I definitely still want it...I did misunderstand you...I thought you didn't know whether it actually dumped or was stationary...either way, I still want it, just wanted to know how to tell and how to equip it to dump if it didn't...thanks for coming in here and clarifying things for me and the others...if you want, I can pm you my number and we can talk some more on this after you get out to the shop to look at it...thanks buddy
So when you get the truck and want to try your hand at fabbing up your own scissor, let me know if you want more detailed pics or measurements of the one I showed in a previous post.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #34
Stitch
Account Suspended

definitely...thanks Fleet