The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

factory defect and rust problems

I'm trying to find this.. but I can't so I'm lazy posting.

if you can point me in the right direction guys cos I know this has to be on here somewhere.

I recall the 1st years of this body style (73-87) had a factory defect in manufacturing that made them rust up real bad even when taken good care of?

Does anyone have any details on this?

I'm lookin at a 79 K10 and the guy's tellin me the floorboard has rusted completely through on 1 side. Seems a bit odd to me.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
ratty 46

Re: factory defect and rust problems

Everyone knows that these vehicles had drain issues that caused the rust & the rot. It was much more visable in the NorthEast, Midwest & any coastal areas.

I just bought a crew from Lake Elsinore, Calif. They get like 2" of rain per year & don't see any sea salt.

It is truly RUST FREE.

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

trucks 2 hours away so I haven't seen it but he says you can see the ground in the passenger "floorboard" I dont know if that means rocker or where the seat mounts or footwell or what, but it worries me that there may be some other rust.

I know 67-72s very well from years of working with them and parting them but I've only had light exposure to 73-87s. From what I recall from my dad's 73.. it rusted to oblivion for no good reason.. born n raised GA truck.

Guy wants $2500 for a running 79 K10 SWB fleet.. he says a/c even works and its otherwise rust and body damage free..

good price I think for a running truck that can get me to lowes and back and still get out of my swamp of a back yard... tryin to decide if it's worth my time to jump in my car and drive 2 hours to go look at it or not.

I don't know how to weld, so I'd have to find a shop to cut out the rusted panel and weld in a new one. I can get the panel from LMC I'm sure..

so whattyall think?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
ratty 46

Well ....... without pix is hard to assist you but ..... seeing I do welding & the fact that I took the trouble to purchase a vehicle in Calif. (I'm 34 miles NE of atlanta) personally I'd pass. I hate rust & rot. I don't like working with vehicles with it either.

But ..... if it fits your needs & you are able to get the repairs done reasonably ... then take a shot.

I do however think that rust free examples are availible for that price - you just have to look.

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Sounds expensive to me -

But, if you are serious about the truck and don't want to weld, you can also cut out the rusted part and use a structural adhesive to bond the replacement panel in place. I did both cab corners and an area behind the LR wheel by bonding the panels in; you can check it out in my build thread (linked below) if you are interested.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-24-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

I'm just looking for a reliable 4x4 that I can drive to work when it snows on a few occasions and can make trips to lowes and home depot.

I'm seeing people asking as much as $8k for unrestored trucks in the 84-86 range locally.

Don't suppose I'm in any hurry.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
81K5Blazer
The pool guy

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but I have been driving mine for 2 years with a hole in the passenger side footwell. I plan on replacing all of the floors this summer at some point though. Most of em look like they are going to go pretty soon. Around here prices are the same way, everyone wants a small fortune for these trucks. Most of the ones I looked at in the same (2500) price range were pretty rusty or had been driven hard. My body was in good shape just rusty all underneath. So far the only problem it has caused is wet carpet.
81K5Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
80SPORT

The main difference that I can remember is the 73s did not have cleanouts for the inner wheelhouse on the pickup box ...so the salt would accumulate and rust the wheel lip quickly.The corrosion protection was upgraded over the years but the cab rockers and floors all seem to interchange.
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

Thanks guys. I passed on that one.

found another one.. LWB fleet, v6/TH350 $1200.. says the engines got a tick.. needs new tires, no major body rust. It's an 85 I think.

I really dont want a money pit since I dont have squat for tools or time right now. I got a 350 from my 71 project that I could have rebuilt and drop into it, but I dont really want to fool with that kind of work right now. Only reason I need a truck is to haul stuff bigger than a small suitcase.

Anyway.. that price sound better? I'd rather have a 4wd for that price..
Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

i know that you passed already, but up here a truck with only a rusted floor pan would be a pretty damn good find.

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote