The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
zerotoredline

air ride and leveling?

i am very interested in putting an air ride on my 67 but like most people on here i am just a bare bones working on a tight budget and i mean tight... i have thought about running just bags and filling them up at the house and maybe slowly piece together a air management system which leads me to my next question... is it possible to make a air leveling system?

oh btw.. any info on parts for a system i need to find would be great ie. what kind of bags for front and back... maybe a compressor/tank/valves... (im new to the air ride setup so im trying to learn this new lingo and what does what)
zerotoredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Tony@AirRideTech

Re: air ride and leveling?

You can certainly start out by doing the suspension and inflating it up with a simple set of schradder valves until you get the compressor system lined out.... as far as a leveling system goes.... i would save up and buy one. It is not the easiest task to accomplish
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech View Post
You can certainly start out by doing the suspension and inflating it up with a simple set of schradder valves until you get the compressor system lined out.... as far as a leveling system goes.... i would save up and buy one. It is not the easiest task to accomplish
can you post some info. on your leveling system? Im interested too
Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
kvn1011
Kvn1011

My deville has leveling sensors in the rear, and I believe mark8s do to, but then you'd need to figure out the tech side of it, would be cool, and should be do able, but how much $$$ will it cost vs buying one is the ?
kvn1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I don't want to step on Tony's toes and leveler's have there place...like in stock cars...but come on guys with the leveler you can slam it ( I maybe wrong about that) and I'm sure you can work a couple switchs

If I was cheap and Poor (which Im) I would buy my bags and enough line to get it plummed to where I was going to mount my electric valves..and put some shrader valves so I can fill them...then save up some ching buy the valves ( 8 of them) and a tank then add that in...

keep your eyes open as to tips and secrets that guys have used (like look at my build) and if you can fab alittle you can save alot of money...not always the best or prettyest but it works and its safe..also keep you eyes open for deals locally and here on the board...I maybe getting old but I keep in touch with some of the kids in town..they know where all deals and used stuff is..
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
drbyrdman

airbagit has some good deals to get started and have instructions on there site to get it done.
drbyrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

i'd stay away from airbagit like the plague due to their bad reputation.

go with one of the board vendors ... let's support those that support us.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
baggedout81

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
i'd stay away from airbagit like the plague due to their bad reputation.

Go with one of the board vendors ... Let's support those that support us.

x2
baggedout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
justpball

I have thought about this before and i have not tried this yet but here is my thought. You want to have 2 vals for each corner so you can control each bag by its self so you dont get pressure pushing from one side to the other when cornering, but what if you had dual port bags and you ran a line between the second port and put a valve in there... you air the truck up to ride height on level ground, then hit the switch for the valve between the two bags and it opens for just a sec and equalizes the pressure between the two bags and when you let go of the switch the bags are singled back off. Hope this makes since... What do you guys think?

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Alvin
Never Done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpball View Post
I have thought about this before and i have not tried this yet but here is my thought. You want to have 2 vals for each corner so you can control each bag by its self so you dont get pressure pushing from one side to the other when cornering, but what if you had dual port bags and you ran a line between the second port and put a valve in there... you air the truck up to ride height on level ground, then hit the switch for the valve between the two bags and it opens for just a sec and equalizes the pressure between the two bags and when you let go of the switch the bags are singled back off. Hope this makes since... What do you guys think?
That will only work if your truck is perfectly balanced. Heavier on one side will make it go lower as soon as you connect the bags to eachother.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
baggedout81

Quote:
If your already running 2 valves per wheel fill/dump you wouldn't need dual port bag or this extra valve.All you would need as 1 switch to activate both fill valves on the front.

I see what your saying tho but it's really kinda of a extra expense that you dont really need.Reason being you already would have the option to level out each corner as need be.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
justpball

yea i know but if you have ever played with one trying to get the bags at equal pressure you will understand...LOL sometimes it is a pain to get them equal, like alvin said it would not work anyway... it was just a thought, but it has flaws...LOL. I need to slow mine down so I can control it easier...

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055

Last edited by justpball; 03-19-2010 at 11:42 AM.
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
baggedout81

Talking Re: air ride and leveling?

Quote:
yea i know but if you have ever played with one trying to get the bags at equal pressure you will understand...LOL sometimes it is a pain to get them equal, like alvin said it would not work anyway... it was just a thought, but it has flaws...LOL. I need to slow mine down so I can control it easier...
HAHAH yeah i used to have that problem.So i took my air gauge out after doing my air system for the 2nd time.There really just more of a pain in the ass to me.Reason being i spent so much time trying to dial each wheel in to what ever psi i was wanting than i was enjoying riding around w/ air.

Yeah i'm more the other way w/ air i want faster.I'm actually building a lowrider cutlass.My buddy turned me on to this site and i'm helping him bag a 60's fleetside.It's gonna be sick.

I'm actually running Slam specialties HE 7" dual ports in the front of mine w/ dual runs of 3/4" hydraulic line 2 each bag and nitrogen.Got tired of messing around w/ DOT plastic line so i bumped up.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
baggedout81

Actually now that i think about it.
If your worried about getting air transfer from bag to bag while cornering.You could do this.
1. Mount your valves under hood.Little bit less air transferring between the tank and valves.It's a small amount in the lines but it might make a little difference.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Ackattack

I have a simple airbag setup using schrader valves.

The front bags each have a ball valve, and then T together and there is one schrader valve. When I fill up, I open both valves and add air, then close both valves. Very easy, and if there is a difference in heights, it is unnoticable. The rear is set up the same way.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
zerotoredline

hmm sounds like a lot of good brain food
zerotoredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I have eight vavles and 2 switchs..along ith guages...it fills even 99% of the time and dumping is quick and easy......I had 4 rockers and the 2 is way easier...If you wanted you could have 4 fill switchs but when you dump all you really need is 2..

BUT 8 VAVLES IS A MUST!!!! or it will drive like crap!!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
baggedout81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
I have eight vavles and 2 switchs..along ith guages...it fills even 99% of the time and dumping is quick and easy......I had 4 rockers and the 2 is way easier...If you wanted you could have 4 fill switchs but when you dump all you really need is 2..

BUT 8 VAVLES IS A MUST!!!! or it will drive like crap!!
I'm sorry but that's not true.

8 valves makes for adjusting each wheel dump/fill easier to control.The way your vehicle handles is proportional to instillation and quality of product used.

Well that and valve placement like stated above makes a little bit of difference.

If your just making a lay and play machine a simple front/back 4 valves set up works.But if your building a vehicle for cornering or a "G" machine then yes a 6 or 8 valves set up you would deff. want to take into consideration.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
texastrendz

i agree with the four valve setup, the truck with four valves will handle twice as good as it did with stock suspension if setup right.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #20
baggedout81

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrendz View Post
i agree with the four valve setup, the truck with four valves will handle twice as good as it did with stock suspension if setup right.
This is true to a extent,it all depends on what you want a air system to do/perform.

Running a 4 valve system (that's front/back) "T" off to each individual wheel per say 2 valves.Yes it would be a little better that using stock OEM sprigs.Reason being you have have the option to control ride height and in turn = control of vehicle when changing the center of gravity.Or pitch or some call Roll what ever

Again you want FULL adjustably GO w/ a 8 set up

If you want lay and play go 4
Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrendz View Post
never happen..........

I'm not sure but in my experiance the 4 valve system will fell soft in the corners...and forget about it if you put any type of load on it...I lay ad play but if needed it works..and WAY BETTER than the old coils
Attached Images

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #22
69CST-V

Here is one way....Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Airbag.pdf (17.4 KB, 124 views)
69CST-V is offline   Reply With Quote