The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Joah_from_Alber

'67 Resto

So we have a small garage that we're going to use to resto our '67 C10 Longbox. The box is scrap and there's the usual rust on all cab corners. Is it better to remove the cab from the frame or is it better to just leave the can on and weld rocker panels while everything's lined up.

PS. How do I chance my Alias?

Cheers,

Last edited by Joah_from_Alber; 03-27-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Joah_from_Alber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: '67 Resto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joah_from_Alber View Post
So we have a small garage that we're going to use to resto our '67 C10 Longbox. The box is scrap and there's the usual rust on all cab corners. Is it better to remove the cab from the frame or is it better to just leave the can on and weld rocker panels while everything's lined up.

PS. How do I chance my Alias?

Cheers,
On changing your alias, you can go to the site feedback and pm or email a moderator off the list.

Are you planning a frame off? If so, I'd take the cab off the frame so you can tilt it different ways to make it easier to get to certain sections. If not, it's fine to leave it on the frame to weld the rockers. Just make sure to test fit the doors either way you do it. Make sure they are nice and lined up before hand with the cab and fenders, mark the hinges, and then throw them on to make sure the gaps at the rockers are good.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Joah_from_Alber

I dunno what will be better. To take the cab off or leave it on. Anyhow, this picture is not for the faint of heart.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Joah_from_Alber

Yeah, I know it's pretty ugly, but any advice or encouragement would help.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
MT71c-10
Too many toys,not enough money

I think I'd leave it on untill you are done with the patch panels. It will help hold it straight. There is a lot of rust on that cutie, It could fold up like a taco if it is not braced right and off the frame. IMHO
Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Diablo de la Noche

I feel your pain. My wife won't give up her side of the garage so I'm stuck in the same predicament. I use the bed to store all the parts I tore off, and the cab to store the stuff I'm working on at the moment. It forces me to do a good clean up when I'm done. You can actually lift the cab off the frame a few inches using jack stands to replace the soft parts underneath and you don't even have to take off the brake lines and stuff until you are ready for that step. It will be difficult to do a full frame-off resto without the space, kinda like truck tetris, but it's do-able.
If you take off the bed, you can stand it up at the end of the truck and that will give you room to move the cab around. you can probably build a short rack of sorts out of 2x4s from the front of the cab to the rear of the frame, to elevate the cab so you can get to the frame, sliding it out of the way. Just use wood blocks as extenders on the jack and jackstands to raise it up more.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Joah_from_Alber

"Be like a squirrel girl, be like a squirrel,"-- Jack Stripe

(Well, maybe not that bad heh heh.)

Our box is pretty rusted like around the inside wheel wells. It has the wood inside so it's a shame to ditch it, but probably for the best.

Here's my proposed order:

Ditch the box.
Remove the cab.
Roll and the chassis outside.
Sandblast the frame, tarp it.
Cut the rust off the cab inside/out.
Polish any residual rust with German-made 13000 rpm steel brush.
Reassemble the cab unto the frame
Reassemble fenders to the cab
Weld in metal now so everything fits to form.
Get a new filter for my shopvac and go to my happy place for 200+ hours.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
realsteelGM

Talking Re: '67 Resto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joah_from_Alber View Post
I dunno what will be better. To take the cab off or leave it on. Anyhow, this picture is not for the faint of heart.

Cheers,
Looks like a western canada truck even with the rust, if it was from Ontario there would be nothing left to restore!
Hey I know what your into, I bought my truck in southern alberta, fortunately it was drivin in Montana most of it's life and was almost rustfree. I live in the Yukon now and the truck brought my family up here! It's a lot of work restoring these antiques but it's a great hobby to learn.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
JRBECK64

There is patch panels for everything. Just warm up your Spot Weld Cutter and the Wire Feed and go to work. My 67 Cab I am working on is in need of outer Rockers, Cab Corners, Inner Kick Panels (Lower) and I have even found some rust where the Rubber seal goes in for the front glass in the upper passenger side. You just have to out last it and when its all done it will look like a million bucks. Good luck with this project.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote