The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
grayw0lf

Any Biodiesel or SVO users in / around AL?

Hey Guys,

The Dirty Hippie side of me has been trying to get out lately, with the help of high gas prices. I've also been itching for a 4WD SUV of some sort, preferable something that can launch my boat. So, I've been thinking about a full size Blazer or a Suburban...but the thought is the fuel economy is murder.

So I'm thinking of becoming more independent, less foreign oil dependent, & getting an older diesel.

Is there anyone on here who has some real experience & suggestions of what to expect from either running biodiesel or straight waste veggie oil?

In addition, is there anyone within a few hours drive who wouldn't mind me checking out their setup & maybe letting me assist / see their operation? If you drink beer, I'm not above bribery.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
1956cameo

Re: Any Biodiesel or SVO users in / around AL?

I used to make biodiesel for a while, but then I had kids and no extra time to mess with it. If you are going to be putting it into a vehicle that is older than a 1993 model I would go SVO. The biodiesel will eat up any non synthetic rubber and gaskets in your truck (all vehicles 1992 and older were non synthetic). My dad still makes biodiesel since he has time bieng retired. It is very simple to do and all the information you could need on it is found on the internet. HOWEVER I will warn you that getting restaurants to allow you to take there oil is the hardest part of it all. Most are in contracts with large grease companies, and others wash it down the drain and don't want to fool with setting it aside for someone to pick it up. Other restaurants throw so much trash (grill scrapings, large amounts of animal fat, and food) into the oil it is pretty much worthless. Also most restaurants are paid for there oil so expect to shell out 25-50 cents per gallon for used oil. Some restaurants still give it away, but that is fewer and fewer everyday. Another problem I faced and now my dad faces is thieves. Yes. Believe it or not used oil theft is a big problem. I would say anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the oil that goes into our containers from restaurants gets stolen. We have had locks busted, and containers broken and pried apart so the oil could be stolen out.

I will try to get pics of my old set up and my dads current set up for you. Feel free to ask any questions you want and I will try to help out as best as I can.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
grayw0lf

Thanks for the input, Cameo. Much appreciated.

Currently I'm only a gas burner, but I'm thinking about an 80-90's Blazer, probably the military version. If not that, perhaps a Suburban (I need a 4x4 for kayaking). I really don't know anything much about the differences in gasoline & diesel engines, but I guess that'll come with time.

Like you said, the steady supply is the big question at this point.

I'm definatley leaning way towards the straight WVO over the biodiesel option. It seems like its definatley more work up front, but much less in the long run.
05' Dodge Neon
94' Seadoo SP

Old 03-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
72 cheyenne pdx

The steady supply is going to be an issue. My dad bought a new diesel when he retired. He just bought a system online to make bio fuel as a hobby (I believe it makes like 10 gallons at a time). Well all the restaurants in his small town are giving their used oil to people already and he has only been able to get a small deli to give him their used oil. Which I guess isn't a lot. He is searching now in nearby towns/cities with no avail yet.

Good luck.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
rambler
MOVE OVER

I've looked into this as well, and so far that is the biggest problem, is supply now that everyone is wanting to do it.

You can build the unit yourself and not pay the big bucks for a "turnkey" solution, but with that costs of building and finding suppliers and also I no longer have a diesel engine except my tractor, it was cost prohibitive to me.

heck even the "older" diesel cars and trucks are going top dollar now due to WVO and bio diesel pitches on how "free" it is...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
grayw0lf

I think I need to find a solid supply & begin stocking up before jumping in & buying a diesel.

Thx for the input!
05' Dodge Neon
94' Seadoo SP

Old 03-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

there were a couple of successful business guys got together and formed a large bio-diesel producing facility here in north alabama a few years ago ... lot's of hoopla on the television and local papers about how they were gonna revolutionize the diesel market in this area.

they went out of business in less than 2 years. their facility is now up for absolute auction.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
1956cameo

They built the largest biodiesel facility in the nation about 30 minutes from my house back in 2008. In about 10 months it was also shut down.

The problem that those large companies have is that they use "Virgin" unused oil that costs $2.00-$4.00 a gallon before it is processed. That added with processing costs makes it about impossible to sell at a reasonable price. They also have to have each batch of diesel certified which is pretty pricey as well. Fortunately homebrew guys don't have to worry about all of that. They use used oil that they get for free or cheap, very low production costs, and no certification costs needed. Overall it costs the average homebrew guy about $0.75-$1.50 a gallon to make the diesel.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote