The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
FamilyMike

long to short

I hope this is not to stupid of a question. I may have a chance to get a 67 stepside long bed. I prefer short beds. Is it an option to shorton the rear of the frame and put on a short bed? If so, how much work to do that is involved. I am thinking not too much but.......newbie lol. Thanks
FamilyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
EA69TRK

Re: long to short

Yes you can cut the frame to go from a longbed down to a shortbed it is fairly common around here if you look in the FAQ section I believe there is a guide to shortening the frame in there and if not the search box is gonna be your best friend.
EA69TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
FamilyMike

thanks for the tip.....after reading some, there are not too many long beds out there. The one I am going to look at has the 6cyl, three on tree and the guy is the third owner. Only 97k on it. May feel guilty cutting it.....LOL
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
There is a lot of different information in the FAQ forum. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Thread / Thread Starter: FAQ Index thread". When you get into that scroll through the different sections and you will find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet....

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the people that read this thread will know how to get to it. Thanks to Krue for indexing the FAQ's

I shortened a frame using the instructions in the FAQ and it worked out great. I think there are also threads on installing air bags and static drops.

You might want to check out the "Projects and builds" forum for some good info.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
FamilyMike

Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
chas350

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
There is a lot of different information in the FAQ forum. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Thread / Thread Starter: FAQ Index thread". When you get into that scroll through the different sections and you will find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet....

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the people that read this thread will know how to get to it. Thanks to Krue for indexing the FAQ's

I shortened a frame using the instructions in the FAQ and it worked out great. I think there are also threads on installing air bags and static drops.

You might want to check out the "Projects and builds" forum for some good info.

LockDoc
Good idea Leon!

71 K10 long fleet (sons truck) new 370hp 355, sm465 np205, 3.73's 33's
70 K20 long fleet
98 G3500 work van
chas350 is offline   Reply With Quote