The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
jrdz2120

front suspension removal

hey guys,
i was in need of some pointers on pulling the front suspension off my frame. I am under the impression that all i need to do is unbolt the crossmember from the frame and roll it out. I just want to make sure that I don't get hit by the springs trying this. Thanks in advance.
jrdz2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
fleetimus

Re: front suspension removal

If you are replacing it with another fr end, no problem. If you are going to rebuild the existing fr end, disassemble it on the truck. The springs can get wierd when you try to remove them.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
mdwilf

If you have the whole "cradle" it is VERY easy - I've done it by myself twice - 12 or 14 bolts in the frame, and unbolt the steering components. If you are using a replacement from 73 & up two of the bolts in the frame won't line up - but if 12 won't hold it, neither will 14. Unbolt the whole thing, raise it up a little, put the frame on jack stands, roll it out & roll the new one in. I usually even leave the power steering box attached to the steering rods.
mdwilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Bruce88

If you’re going to rebuild the front suspension removing the A arms or replacing the ball joints I would do that on the truck until you get it down to the cross frame only. Then you can remove the cross frame with no problems then reassemble in reverse order.

If you’re not going to rebuild the front suspension pulling it as one peace is not hard. I just finished doing this and you might find the pictures on my build thread helpful. (post #257 & 268) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=11