The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
rsavage

86 K10 collectable?

I have a 66, 70 SB, and 70 Burb. I am unfamiliar with the 73-87 trucks. I came across a 86 short fleet 4X4 with just a hair over 6000 original miles which has never seen snow or rain. 305 auto, air etc. Absolutely everything original except the battery. The original (now elderly)owner bought it new off the showroom floor. The dealer had "customized" it by installing a chrome roll bar, sun roof, chrome air horns and a custom tonneau that goes around the chrome roll bar. Has never had anything in the bed. He seemed to think that the sunroof was factory but I don't believe it was an option. Since the dealer installed several options I assume it was an aftermarket sunroof. Started and run regularly but not driven much at all especially in last several years. The truck still smells new. The sun roof bothers me as to value of the truck. Has been kept in his dry garage sitting on plastic covered by cotton tarps. Sorry no pics. Sun roof ruin its collectable value?
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: 86 K10 collectable?

The sun roof part sucks but it's not the end of the world. You could cut the inner and outer roof metal out of junkyard truck (roof is usually never rusted) then weld it into the opening. After that, have the roof painted to match and then get a new headliner.

I think it would be worth the work do this if the truck is as much a time capsule as you say it is.

But yes, the price of the truck should be less because of that sunroof. Take what the truck is worth in unmolested form then subtract the approximate cost of the roof restoration.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
bigarmzz

how much you getting that thing for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I have a 66, 70 SB, and 70 Burb. I am unfamiliar with the 73-87 trucks. I came across a 86 short fleet 4X4 with just a hair over 6000 original miles which has never seen snow or rain. 305 auto, air etc. Absolutely everything original except the battery. The original (now elderly)owner bought it new off the showroom floor. The dealer had "customized" it by installing a chrome roll bar, sun roof, chrome air horns and a custom tonneau that goes around the chrome roll bar. Has never had anything in the bed. He seemed to think that the sunroof was factory but I don't believe it was an option. Since the dealer installed several options I assume it was an aftermarket sunroof. Started and run regularly but not driven much at all especially in last several years. The truck still smells new. The sun roof bothers me as to value of the truck. Has been kept in his dry garage sitting on plastic covered by cotton tarps. Sorry no pics. Sun roof ruin its collectable value?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
rsavage

He wouldn't give me a price but rather said i should give him a number, so I don't know if I will end up getting it. I have no idea what he thinks it's worth in his mind and I don't want to insult him. He knows it is a very special truck. He's at least 80 but he's all there. NADA classic value indicated $9080 as a high retail in my area. I'm wondering if he thinks its worth is much higher? I saw this truck 15 years ago when I was doing some door to door campaigning. He showed it to me then but had no interest in parting with it at that time. I went by his house on a motorcycle ride and the garage door was up on that side of the garage and I saw it still covered up. Thought I'd take a chance and stop and ask. He's very proud of it but seems to be ready to sell now or at least says he is.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
thepenguin99

While the truck sounds really nice and the low mileage is awesome I think the sunroof has somewhat ruined the whole "unmolested" aspect to the truck. In all likelyhood it is listed on the original paperwork with the truck (assuming he has it) so everyone will know it had one and was repaired.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
raws67

As long as the sunroof has not leaked and is a nice install I dont think it will hurt the value that much. The sunroofs were huge back ion the day but they were usually hack jobed in to the trucks and cars and began leaking etc etc etc. Question is do you like the truck the way it is? Or are you trying to buy for its resale value only which it doesnt sound like you are. Like others have already said it would not be hard at all to find a donor cab they are everywhere at junkyards where you can just cut one out bigger than the sunroof and keep the metal in storage. Then if you decide you hate the sunroof just have the new sheetmetal welded in and your pretty much done. Either way it just comes down to weather you like the truck. IO always thought some of those sunroofs were cool back in the day but they needed to be installed properly.
raws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Keith Seymore

This is probably implied in the previous answers but a sunroof was not a factory option.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
80SPORT

The low mileage 73-87 trucks usually make between 10000 and 15000 on ebay and other venues;the sunroof reduces the value;the short bed and a/c increases it.color also makes a difference(Red and White are best).
I would estimate 12000 would be a realistic #.
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
USSkoval

I personally feel that the sunroof should not hurt the value since it was installed at the dealer before the truck was even sold. It just makes the truck unique... just like it was intended back in '86.
USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
rsavage

Thanks for the responses and help. I have to decide if I will make him an offer. Wife of 35 years adamantly says no more toys. She's said that before though and hasn't gotten rid of me yet. Might have to get rid of something to appease/create balance. Hate to not try
on this as I will probably regret it.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
RuralRoute C-30

It sounds like an opportunity to get a unique "low mileage is an understatement" truck. No doubt it is worth making an offer on yet here is my "2 cents" on what not to forget with the obvious that no one has mentioned yet.

It is 24 years old, with 6k miles and will probably have (hopefully) only some minor "issues", no matter who purchases it, that will come from virtually sitting idle and pretty for 24 years. Might want to take into consideration such "might haves" in the budget and the offer.

Figure anything rubber, all fluids and possibly even the radiator if it has been sitting all these years with anti-freeze but not circulating regularly. Seals, gaskets and such may or may not begin to leak as well once it is "reawakened" to the road.

I only mention this from experience having once bought what was literally a brand "new" car once from an estate. 18 years old and only 16k in showroom condition it was what I thought at the time a great "deal" for a classic car. In the final tally it nickeled and dimed me on all the above until repaired. Even the belts for the power seats were cracked and quickly broke. Yet after running it for under 2k it suddenly was a money pit.

I agree though with the sun roof option; if it is there and you like it and it doesn't leak, keep it if it suits your needs. If not, take it out and simply patch the hole.

Sounds like a very nice truck overall. Just wanting to toss in my experience on what may or may not happen on such a deal and what can, and chances are will, add to the initial investment of this "classic" with 6k miles. Something to ponder before you buy if there is a 'budget'. I would use the "possibilities" as a negotiating tool. It will cost money for sitting so long no matter how comfortably it has sat.

Would love to see a picture!

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 04-03-2010 at 10:12 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

hard to say without pics but im guessing between 10-12 is a viable value
by the way where are you in NY state? I have a place in Deposit

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 04-03-2010 at 10:25 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
rsavage

Bob,
I live in Western New York - Alden - small town about 20 miles east of Buffalo.
Rick
2021 Durango RT 5.7