The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #26
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Edelbrock Performer Carb help?

One other tip that can help slow the flow of fuel, is to seal the filler neck with a piece of duct tape, or a plastic bag and rubber bands. The more gas in the tank the more it will help since the fuel cannot flow out without air to replace the volume. If you can effectively block the fresh air from entering the tank it will slow the spillage.

I replaced my hose as described by Larry above, and it goes really quick if you've thought it through, but every bit helps when you're dealing with flammable liquid, that happens to be running on you. Also, whenever I deal with open gasoline I always have the wife stand by with a fire extinguisher just in case.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
'Fumes, I meant to say "flow" (as in volume) rather than pressure, if it's sucking air someplace, it might have pressure but not enough volume. Just thought that you might want to try replacing that short section of line before you go to the trouble of draining and getting into the tank.
You don't need to drain the tank, is'nt the outlet on the sending unit. Just undo the screws holding the sending unit in and pull it all out the filter is on the end.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #28
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
You don't need to drain the tank, is'nt the outlet on the sending unit. Just undo the screws holding the sending unit in and pull it all out the filter is on the end.
Yup, wasn't even thinking about that part, guess I was just knee-jerk responding to 'fumes reference to all that gas in the tank.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #29
BreathnFumes

Yessiree it did! Hoping to get it done today
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #30
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathnFumes View Post
Yessiree it did! Hoping to get it done today
'Fumes, curiosity has got the best of me, what did you mean when you said "Yessiree it did!"? And, did you 'git 'er done'?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #31
BreathnFumes

Made sense... however im think i will go for a bypass technique before attempting this. I pulled the in line from the pump and hooked it up to an extended line to a 5 gal gas can. I also took the top of the carb off to make sure the floats were even. (they were off 1/4") so i bent their tabs. hopefully this will tell me if its the carb or the fuel lines/tank.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #32
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

If your floats were off by that much, did you reset them to the specs mentioned by 'fdbdw' earlier (float level 7/16", float drop 15/16", float drop is set by bending the small tab outboard of the needle/seat, the level is set by bending the float arm)? both settings need to be right or you risk starving (not enough drop) or flooding (level too high). You may know all that already, just trying to cover all bases.

Also, on the Edelbrock there is a cavity under the seats that you might want to flush out. Mine would garbage up and mess with the needles even after I changed filters.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 10-13-2009 at 01:30 PM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #33
ctough74

I just fought this one recently myself.
Came to be that the filter in the tank was pretty gunked up (replacing the tank now) and also some dirt got still got into the carb that has gummed that up. Save the future work and put a good filter from the tank to the fuel pump, then a see through one from the fuel pump to the carb so you can tell if there's little floaties coming getting into the carb. Then a big cleaning of the carb did the job for me.

Good luck.
ctough74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #34
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

ctough74, good point about the filters, I have a marine fuel/water seperator (looks like an oil filter, same size) between the tank and pump (on the frame rail) and a clear one just before the carb for just the exact purpose you stated.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #35
BreathnFumes

I installed the pre carb filter, but not 1 on the frame before the pump. Im hoping to get some time today to pull the sending unit. may have to get a hand pump to get a bit of gas out before hand though. dont want to get gas on my new interior...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #36
BreathnFumes

The gas can test did not work. I cleaned the filter on the end of the sending unit. That didn't work either. replaced old lines that were rubber with new rubber. No change. Still getting plenty of pressure. Guys... I'm thinking its the carburetor.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #37
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
If your floats were off by that much, did you reset them to the specs mentioned by 'fdbdw' earlier (float level 7/16", float drop 15/16", float drop is set by bending the small tab outboard of the needle/seat, the level is set by bending the float arm)? both settings need to be right or you risk starving (not enough drop) or flooding (level too high). You may know all that already, just trying to cover all bases.
I'd go back to what fleetsidelarry said. Check the float level and drop again. Also, if they were off by 1/4" the carb may have been dropped or banged around before you got it. I'd also check the springs that go under the pistons that lift the metering rods and make sure they are a matched set (or there at all). You might also check the numbers on the metering rods and the jet sizes. They could be mismatched, or too big for the jets, bent, etc. The rods could also be stuck in the jets or the jets could be loose. With the amount of crud that may have entered from the fuel system, it would probably be a good idea to completely disassemble the carb and clean out all the passages with carb cleaner and compressed air.

The following link shows the float adjustments and table for the original calibration by model (pages 9 & 10).
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #38
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

BreathnFumes, did you say "still getting plenty of pressure", I thought you weren't getting enough flow? If the flow is OK now, then it sounds like a thorough cleaning is needed, plus re-checking all the other adjustments.

Did you get a manual with your new carb? If not here's the link (probably the same as the one markeb01 meant to send):

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

here's an example of what's in it:

Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #39
fdbdw

Buy an inline guage and check your psi, most stock pumps put out to much pressure for these carbs, like earlier stated, these carbs do not like anything over 6.5 , 5 to 6 is optimal, almost everyone I know that has an Edel carb either has a low pressure pump or a fuel pressure regulator, if you fix everything else that has been discussed you will still have problems if your psi is to high, if your pressure is to high the carb will flood leading you to think other things are causing it
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
BreathnFumes

the inline pump showed avg. 6.5 psi after i changed my filter. I adjusted the bowls as instructed and the engine acted the same. I am out of time (due to the fact that this is to be my daily driver) and I can no longer use the company vehicle. Just ordered a 525cfm Demon Jr. from jegs. Im tired of this carb... I have to keep adjusting the floats. I'm sure that this is a bad lemon, my dad wants another brand though.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #41
454Headache

Make sure the pressure is no more than 6.5. This is the bleeding edge maximum edelbrocks can take. Your idle 6.5 psi most likely shoots up to 7 or 7.5 at higher rpm. This forces the needle of the seat and floods the carb with fuel until the engine can not take it anymore. They are happiest 5.0-5.5 MAX. I run two of them and they perform great at 4 psi even.

Could be a fuel starvation issue as well. Just because you have pressure does not mean you have the volume.

With that being said, most carb issues are due to timing and not the carb itself. I always set my timing to max vacuum at idle.
Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram
No A/C, Heater, or Power Steering
TH400, 2,800 Anti-Balloon Stall
Hurst Shifter
3.73 POSI rear
Taurus E-fan
Schuck's Radio and 15's
454Headache is offline   Reply With Quote