The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Deaol

Headlight Upgrades / Halos

I have seen alot of trucks now upgrading with the mod'd 7" halos, question is I have seen a ton of different ones and different colors and was wondering if someone could confirm for me that the ones linked below will indeed work with our trucks..

Ebay Link Here

Thanks in advance, also any feedback from those who have installed them would be greatly appreciated aswell...
Deaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Wideopenracing15

Re: Headlight Upgrades / Halos

I would also like to know this.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

yes those fit

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
LMN8UR

I had to cut out the back of my headlight buckets to make mine work. . . (Bought mine from JC-W)
TKO-500 & 3.08:1 rear

I Love HEMI's, they're soft & chewy!
LMN8UR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
60ratrod
yes, i do

just be cautious. on my 94's halo headlites that i put in back in august, within about 3 weeks i had both the outter rings and center dots burn out the about 3 months later one side halos completely burned out. i ended up having to pull'em apart and replacing the resistors, completely rerouting the wiring for the led's for the rings(4 per ring), and replacing all 8 leds cause i couldn't get the dots to work anymore. so just be on the look out for your resistors burning up on you. i also ended up adding an extra larger resistor in the main power wire just as re-assurance so i knew i wouldn't have to pull them back apart anytime soon and they still work great after a month. so long story short just be on the look out for your halo's leds burning up on you

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900

Last edited by 60ratrod; 04-06-2010 at 04:03 AM.
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
dznucks

Quote:
just be cautious. on my 94's halo headlites that i put in back in august, within about 3 weeks i had both the outter rings and center dots burn out the about 3 months later one side halos completely burned out. i ended up having to pull'em apart and replacing the resistors, completely rerouting the wiring for the led's for the rings(4 per ring), and replacing all 8 leds cause i couldn't get the dots to work anymore. so just be on the look out for your resistors burning up on you. i also ended up adding an extra larger resistor in the main power wire just as re-assurance so i knew i wouldn't have to pull them back apart anytime soon and they still work great after a month. so long story short just be on the look out for your halo's leds burning up on you

can you provide any more info on that resistor and wiring upgrade you did to these? Pics?
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
60ratrod
yes, i do

i'm kinda kickin myself in the rear for not taking photos of the tear down, replacement, rewiring, and rebuild of the housings. but the shop that i used is an electronics supply shop and i got everything(including bulbs) for $15, and they even threw in some free resistors. i have some spares somewhere packed up so when i get home i'll take some photos of the resistors that i used and the placement of the resistors that i soldered into the main power wires of the halo leds. this way if you guys run into any issues you guys will have a good idea of what to use when redoing the halo resistors and leds. and if you wanna go with a different color of led besides the white, like me(i went with amber leds) that is the perfect time to do it. here's a few things to know when doing this. i learned these the hard way. first don't try testing the led bulbs on your car battery without a resistor in line somewhere or you will have to replace the bulbs, instead use like a 1.5-3 volt battery like a watch battery or a AA battery. second you can't resistance or ohm check leds so don't even try. the only way to test them is with a low voltage battery like what i just mentioned. third make sure you reseal them using a sealant like rtv or the right stuff and becareful to not get it on the inside or the outside of the lense, but more importantly the inside of the lense since you will have to pull it back apart to remove that sealant, the outside can wait until it dries and can then be scraped off, its just a hassle to do it. when i rewired the leds all of the power and ground wires ran straight to the main circuit card(thats what most leds are soldered to in most applications), which i saw as nasty, unorganized and an issue just waiting to happen. so what i did is the 2 led bulbs(2 per card, 2 cards per ring, total of 4 bulbs on my halos) that were the furthest from the main circuit card i soldered in series with the card that was closest to the main card, uncluttering the amount of wires running to the main card and eliminating a forseeable problem in the future. and then what i did next is soldered the power and ground wires on the card that was closest to the main card on the main card. of coarse that was after i replaced the leds. i also replaced the resistors while i had everything desoldered from the main card cause i had a couple that were burned out and one that was completely ruptured. and after i did that i also did a continuity check of the card to ensure that i would not be doing all this work for nothing. so when i get home i will also take an after photo of what my halos look like now with the amber leds.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A lot of the lower cost ones flat out BLOW. Regardless of what bulbs you install, if the reflector isn't good, the light output will be poor at best. I've also seen a few sets (all from overseas) have DOT markings, when in reality, there is NO WAY they would pass DOT regulations.
I recomend finding people who are happy (not just satisfied) with the headlights they have, (talk to people who actually drive there vhicle a lot) and then get what they have. They will probably not be cheap for ones that actually work.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Deaol

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Even though I like the look, it seems the problems might over weigh the "cool factor" of having them. Guess unless I find something that carries alittle more support or even a warranty, probably going to steer clear of the ebay models.
Deaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
rusty baker
'70 C-10 Primer

Don't know why anyone would want them. They blind oncoming traffic.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
60ratrod
yes, i do

what the halos? man the halo rings will never put out enough light.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
unless you have seen this exact make and model of light reflector, there is absolutly no way you can even try to make that claim.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
Mister laugh

I have a cheap set of H4 style bulbs i bought from ebay when i was DDing my truck that i bought from ebay. The seller was something like prostreetlighting. He sent me both a pair of the halo ones and normal ones i never insalled the halo ones but the normal ones were great for me. That being said i havent actually driven my truck in well over a year probably close to 2 so my memory might be fuzzy.
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #14
60ratrod
yes, i do

the only way that the halo's would ever be insanely bright is if you had the bright as F%^& bulbs. otherwise after i pulled the halos apart and overhauled them i had to do a little work to the adjusters(they were sloppy so i added grease to them) and now i couldn't be happier. now the only thing i wanna do to them now is add the brighter bulbs(i forget what they are called right now).

Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
txriverrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Maybe he is referring the the xenon light bulbs and the blue light they put out.

If that's the case, I agree completely. Blue light is a shorter wave length than yellow, and it is harder for your eyes to adjust to in dark conditions. I really don't like xenon headlight bulbs (or even HID setups). They hurt my eyes.

I like the Hella halogen bulbs and the addition of a relay and heavier gauge wire to get the most out of my headlights. I haven't gotten to this on my chevy yet, but I did do it on a few old BMWs I used to run, and it was a worthwhile mod in my opinion. (Note: I also was running Cibie headlights at the time, these helped a lot too)

Check this site if you're interested:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html
txriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
ShredSled

Anyone know of some Hellas or other brand name replacement "halo" housings that would fit the '67-'72 trucks?
Do you have to fab up some custom brackets/aimers?

I too am a bit skeptical about the light spread of some of the cheaper lights shipped direct from China... I'm not saying you can't necessarily get a good set on ebay, but I just don't want to guinea pig it and end up with the short stick.