The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
siuehcke16

2 wheel drive to 4x4 ?s

ok im new here and i dont have a truck yet but have been looking for one for quite awhile. i now that its really hard to find a 67-72 shortbox fleetside 4x4, so how hard is it to convert that year 2wd to 4 or how hard is it to put that body on another frame. i had a 95 gmc 1500 shortbox fleetside 4x4 and loved it but had to get rid of it for economy and college but now im getting back into a truck and want a 67-72. if anyone has any pics at all it would be helpful thanks
siuehcke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Mudder

Re: 2 wheel drive to 4x4 ?s

There are a lot of threads here just about what you are wanting to know. I would just spend a little time going back through them and try to learn what you can. Lots of good info already posted here. A lot of guys are swapping the older body onto newer frames.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The easiest is swapping onto a 4wd frame.But,they are scarce so converting is next best.I`d suggest getting an donor 69-72 4wd frame,Blazer or long bed.There are so many incidentals that you`ll want the whole deal complete.A complete truck is even better if it`s a manual since clutch linkage is different.The biggest difference in frames is the rear frame rails are tapered in more on 4wd rears than coils.I`ve seen coils retained.But,if you want leaf on a coil frame some work will be required.
`73-up frames work,too.The cab forward needs a couple inches of lift because the frame rises up that much more under the bed.The front of the frame is longer and the core support will sit rearward of the`73-up location.Mounts will need moved or many bolt support through the frame.

I stepped away before sending this.Mudder is right.Every detail can be found on this.I see a lot of 4wdframes for sale here on the site lately,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-08-2010 at 08:43 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
siuehcke16

hey thanks guys ya i have been doing alot of research on here and found alot of stuff was just really hoping for more pictures but your input is great thanks and ill take anymore as well
siuehcke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
nvrsatisfied

special K is right in the area of getting an entire truck. i would figure in MO. you could craiglist, truck trade or do what me and my buddies do and look for those farmers with something broken in the yard or pastures and shoot them a price. you would be surprised at what you can get for $500 bucks .

also depends on how big you wanna go and what are your fab skills and the biggest part of all is weather your single or married, this will really determine the theory of "money is not an issue"

give me a two wheel drive truck and a some what cheap budget; i would do 4" lift blocks in the rear (or fab up a set from 2x3 square tube), salvage/craiglist or buy (depending on lift) a set of leafs in the front, buy a set (or fab a set) of shackles, craiglist a set of axle(s) (depending on axle condition maybe rebuild while they out). craiglist the tranny/transfer case. maybe modify drivelines, buy longer shocks..Or make longer mounts to use the original shocks. go find the mud whole....brake it....go get 2.5 ton rockwells and retry after about a year of building (oh wait thats just me )

i know this might be way off from "size" on what you might wanna do (so think smaller) but this is my buddies truck he did; two wheel drive he made everthing off the frame with 4x4 guts under it....
Attached Images

72 cheyenne super
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811512

55 chevy truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=840174
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote