The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #51
BIGBLU 72

Re: Talk me out of giving up.

Man, ur right there! When my Dad was building our 68 crewcab dually i never thought that it was never gunna get finshed! but when it got to about the level where ur truck is it seemed to fall into place pretty quickly and then we drove it and worked out all the minor detals while workin it and enjoying it! Keep at it!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #52
Senator350

i might not have even read your entire post. how's THAT for giving up?

seriously dude? you need a pep talk?

how bout to finish it for every guy who can't because he lost his job.

you can't call it quits because YOU get rusty OR the truck gets rusty.

/pep talk
Old 10-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #53
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

It doesn't sound like the truck has you discouraged, it's the bodywork and paint.

Are you sure you need to worry about paint and bodywork to have fun?

My dad drove his unfinished 33 Plymouth sedan in Hot Rod Primer for 6 or 7 years before feeling like doing the bodywork and paint. I did the same with my 54 Plymouth Station Wagon for a different 7 years, and had just bought some Root Beer paint when I made the decision to leave Cali and the car--nothing to do with motivation on the car (man I miss her) but I couldn't afford to transport it across country. Driving a primered, unfinished truck--not even a "Rat rod" or patina'd one, just "unfinished"--is still cool and the "thumbs-up"s you will get will be plenty of encouragement and motivation when you get in the mood to paint.

Even though light coats of primer will absorb water, heavy coats are more protective and some primers also seal. Think of yourself as getting a headstart, or doing it in small steps instead of one monumental task, or just putting it off until XYZ. Whatever. You will be having fun tooling around next hot rod season in YOUR truck (and it's YOUR schedule to finish it on, not anyone else's).

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #54
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

I think we all read through these build threads and forget the actual time involved in doing something right. I knew I didn't have the money to do paint and body, and I also knew that I would get burned out if I couldn't drive it, so I chose to do mine in stages. I did a frame off but only the frame. I slapped the body back on and will do a little dent pulling here and there and patch panels and put if back on the road. One day I'll get tired of it being that way and I'll do some body work and paint it.

IMO the Trans Am thing is an option because it's drivable now with no work, but I don't think you will enjoy it nearly as much as your truck. Take some time off and step away and let the want to come back to you, or go help a friend on their ride for a while. Stick with it. It will pay off.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #55
BP68

Thanks so much for all the kind words. I think it is getting thru. It seems the majority opinion is to finish it.

A little more background. The shop is not at my house. I have a 2 car garage and the main truck is there. The bed and all the tools are at my bodymans house/shop.

I started all this when I was 22 I will be 31 come Jan. I am prob going with the advice to cover it up and not think about it again till next spring. Hopefully I can talk the bodyman into getting the bed repaired/reassembled/and primed by then without my help. The get the bed and body together and painted all over. Then all the million little things, bumpers, lights, finish wiring, glass, interior etc. If I could get it street legal and painted I could at least drive it while I finished other things up.

My biggest hang up/frustration is paint and body work. I can't do it myself and don't think I want to learn anymore.

Aggravating part is back in the begining when I was newly married and did not have a child, I had more time/money/energy. I would go to the bodyman's shop a chomping at the bit to do something. He has a full time other job and does this on the side, so Sat was his sleep in day and he did not really get in a hurry. So I am going bonkers waiting for him to show me what to cut/grind/take apart next.

Now I am a little older/less motivated/less engergetic and wish it was all done so I can just drive/show it.

At this point in life I need small simple projects with instant gratification like my 2006 truck. Installed painted handles/inside chrome handles/cold air intake/painted engine cover/6 disc changer/2" rear drop and recently remote start. (lovin the remote start)

I think that is the main appeal of the Trans AM. No body work/no paint, just keep it clean and maintained. It may not be trouble free but I still really like them, and for the person who mentioned optispark probs, that is LT1 motors. I would only have a LS1. Much better coil pack setup.

Anyway thanks for the pep talk. I think I will cover it up this weekend and send an email to my bodyguy to get to work and send me a quote to get the bed done up to primer.

No quite ready to throw in the towel and lose all that money. Hopefully 2010 will bring fresh motivation.

THanks for you kind words and time.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #56
50MOTORHEAD

I guess that I will have to go against the flow on this one. Building these trucks are supposed to be fun. If it's not fun anymore,then I'd move on to something else.Someone mentioned that you should put it away for a while and try it later. That might work but if you have another project that you'ld rather be doing,it might make sense to dump the truck and use the money to work on something that you like doing.
Anyone who has been building for a lot of years will tell ya,don't think that you will never be able to find another one if ya sell this one. Old vehicles are just like waiting for the bus. If ya miss one,another one will come along,shortly.
Work on what you enjoy and don't let yourself be 'chained' to this one. It sounds like you have given this build enough time. I don't want to discourage ya,,I just don't want you to feel like you have 'failed' if ya don't get this one finished- Good luck,,whatever you decide .-KB
50MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #57
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MOTORHEAD View Post
I guess that I will have to go against the flow on this one. Building these trucks are supposed to be fun. If it's not fun anymore,then I'd move on to something else.Someone mentioned that you should put it away for a while and try it later. That might work but if you have another project that you'ld rather be doing,it might make sense to dump the truck and use the money to work on something that you like doing.
Anyone who has been building for a lot of years will tell ya,don't think that you will never be able to find another one if ya sell this one. Old vehicles are just like waiting for the bus. If ya miss one,another one will come along,shortly.
Work on what you enjoy and don't let yourself be 'chained' to this one. It sounds like you have given this build enough time. I don't want to discourage ya,,I just don't want you to feel like you have 'failed' if ya don't get this one finished- Good luck,,whatever you decide .-KB
I would agree if he could sell it for what he put into it. However, from a financial perspective, it would be disastrous to sell right now. Should at least get the bed done and get it on the road before selling.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #58
bser

Beautiful work so far, take a breather and go fishing, or something else you used to enjoy, you'll come back to this when you're ready to. sometimes these things can consume you, don't let it.
Good luck!

71 gmc K2500 402BB manual fleet

71 Gmc custom camper c2500 402 BB/TH400 fleet

72 chevrolet c2500 350/TH350 custom fleet
bser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #59
oldsub86

I'm with the folks who have suggested that you just put it aside for a while and see how you feel later.

I had a 68 Chevy for close to 24 years that I never got to really fix up. I finally sold it last spring to a fellow who already has one fixed up and wanted another. I had no place to keep it inside and could see it deteriorating so I let it go but I doubt I could replace it with anything better without spending a lot more money. You had best be sure you want out before you let it go.

Randy
Old 11-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #60
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

I know you decided to hang it up for a little bit, but I still want to put in my .02.

I got my '51 back in '04 and started rebuilding it in '05. There were so many times I wanted to sell it and get a motorcycle or something else that was either done or real close to done. Then I started going to car shows more and seeing all the other trucks done made me want to finish mine even more. Now I really don't have the money to do what I need to to finish it so it's gonna sit until I do. I also got another running project to have and drive around until the day comes when I can start back on my '51 and finish it. Then some other day in the future I will re-do my '51 to a high dollar show truck like yours, but I really just want to drive it around first. I really love that truck and so does my son. I don't want to sell any of them. Just for him I want to keep them all, running or not. Some day he will get them all.

Your truck looks real good by the way. It would be a shame if you got rid of it when your so close to having it done.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #61
BP68

Well, I have pretty much decided to throw in the towel. It is just not meant to be for me. I don't want to work on it myself anymore and I don't want to spend anymore money on it. My plans are to try to get motivated enough to get some little odds and ends done so I can get it streeable, and have the bodyman finish up the bed and prob paint it. I sold an extra parts truck and bed so I have a little cash. My heart's just not in it anymore. My advice to others is to start small with a frame on resto/cleanup first unless you really know what you are getting in to. Know your time/financial limits and be realistic about them. Then realize it will prob cost more and take longer. haha

Kinda ironic that once I finally get it on the road, I will be selling it. I will take the financial hit and count it a lesson learned. I just want to go back to my sports car roots (plan to get a 2002 Ram Air Ta or Camaro SS). That way I can drive anytime I want to, and will only be doing minor mods and maintaince. No more fab work or starting from scratch. Biggest project I might do is a LS6 install MAYBE down the road.

Thanks for all you guys help/advice/kind words. I will prob still be around checking out what you guys are building/doing.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #62
longhorn70gmc

BP68,
I bought my truck back in 2000. I am still restoring it. I am so close it drives me nuts, but the thought of selling it lurks, but I always tell myself this is the one and by god I am going to finish it if it kills me because I want to drive it down the road just soaking it in. I will never buy another restore job at non running status or on the verge of junk yard queen, but not only am I going to forge forward with my GMC Sierra Grande Longhorn, but for the first time since I fell in love with the Longhorn, come May first I will have a 72 Cheyenne Chevy Longhorn that is in great shape, daily driver and is only 2 grand with all the original parts, set up and paperwork. I am getting a deal of a lifetime. I have decided these will be my two trucks and I abhore smog laws, so I have made myself a promise to stay away from anything that will waist my money and feed the state. My motivation is the shear fact I can gaze upon it everyday and start it every now and then. My GMC should be road worthy as a daily driver by summer of 2011. I feel you and ask only that you remind yourself what it really means to you deep down to own it and nuture it to what your dream of it should and will be!!!! Enjoy and good luck!!!
R/
Billy

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #63
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetopay View Post
I also just looked at the build thread....you are SOOOOOOO close.

I second the idea of tossing a cover on it so it isn't staring you in the face every time you step in the garage. To make a driver all you need is wiring and a seat. Skip the body work for now, wire it up and slap anyold bench in it so you can run it down to the burger stand on a nice afternoon. I am willing to bet you will get a ton of people checking it out because it is a work in progress. They will be waiting to see what you have done next. Fog it in some expoxy and DRIVE it a little.
Hell if its a seat you meed, I've got a Bench Seat sitting in the back of my 72 GMC YOU CAN HAVE FOR FREE.
(just gotta come git it)!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #64
NORMSCOLORADO

hey man im damn near 22 right now i picked up my 67 just before my 21st b day and i have run out of it myself from time to time.... still stuck livin at home cuz i can afford a house on my own even if i didnt have my trucks... im laid off with all the time in the world to work on it, im haulin scrap metal with it to be able to buy paint and the little essentials to fix her up and but with what little i got i come on here and envy some of these guys and hell even you for being as patient as you possibly could to fix the ol girl up right.... i cannot let mine sit i wanna drive her and take it easy on her old bones.... she is my pride and joy even she has a tractor supply paint job...... someday she will get pulled to pieces and reborn..... dont give up man right now your truck is the younger generations dream... i wanna see that truck rollin!!!!!!!
NORMSCOLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #65
BP68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMSCOLORADO View Post
hey man im damn near 22 right now i picked up my 67 just before my 21st b day and i have run out of it myself from time to time.... still stuck livin at home cuz i can afford a house on my own even if i didnt have my trucks... im laid off with all the time in the world to work on it, im haulin scrap metal with it to be able to buy paint and the little essentials to fix her up and but with what little i got i come on here and envy some of these guys and hell even you for being as patient as you possibly could to fix the ol girl up right.... i cannot let mine sit i wanna drive her and take it easy on her old bones.... she is my pride and joy even she has a tractor supply paint job...... someday she will get pulled to pieces and reborn..... dont give up man right now your truck is the younger generations dream... i wanna see that truck rollin!!!!!!!
I am pretty sure I am ready to move on, but unless it happens to sell I am going to keep doing some work. I really need to get it streetable to see if by some odd chance it brings back the motivation (doubt it at this point) and to help sell it and get a little more for it.
I just don't want to tinker/tweak anymore. At least not at this point in life. I have a buddy at work with about as much time in a 69 Camaro and twice the money that is basically done and driveable. Even now he is working the bugs out and tweaking things. If I were to finish my truck to the way I planned, I would have over 20k in it and doubt it would ever bring more than 15k if that. Of course I knew this was not a money making venture and did not start for that reason.

I should have bought a running/driving truck and played along the way till I decided if I wanted to go frame off and have it down for years. But I guess we all live and learn. If I make progress, I will post it up.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #66
NORMSCOLORADO

yeah man i can respect that.... even if you dont finish you know the person that buys it wont run it in to the ground.....
NORMSCOLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #67
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I'm on year 6 of my dually project, so I know your pain. However, I keep chugging along. Right now, I'm hot on it, and I'm getting a lot done. I have had had several breaks from it though. Just keep chugging along!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #68
69chevyrain

You have to do what u feel is in your heart, my 69 has mine & i know she won't be done for along time, She needs body work & paint i still wipe her down as if she was just painted. I love to come home grab her & my fishing pole. Just the other day i got lucky & found one to match my seat i was like oh yes!!!! & the feeling of driving her is priceless. I promise u spend alot of $ food & drinks & You never get that back. I wish u luck
69chevyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #69
BP68

I talked to my bodyman, and got him back to work on the bed. He and I are both hoping that if I can get it driveable and on the road, that I may change my mind.

My goal now is to get it where I can actually drive it, even if the interior is not compeletly done and all the details are not quite finished.

Right now I have to bodyman working on the bed while I try to get the gauges/lights/door poppers/ etc working so I can title it and drive it.

I must say I got a little excited when the bodyman called and said he had the tailgate shaved and reverse handle kit installed. Next is filling the bed side markers and stake pockets. I may stick the ready to paint bed on and try driving it some. Or I may go ahead and let him do the final paint job, depending on cost.

If all goes well, I would like to be driving it within the next 2 months if possible.

We will see what happens from there. I will post pics when I get them this Sat.
Stay tuned

Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #70
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I just finaly got back to working on mine.. no where near as nice as yours, but I welded some c-notches in and am just so tickled with myself now. I get discouraged at times, but the only way I'll ever have the rod I want is to build it.. so I keep plugging.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #71
VA72C10
VA72C10

Cool! Glad you're back working on it!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #72
yourgrool
67-72

keep going!!! i am going through the same thing you are right now...i have had my truck apart for 3 years now started when i was 20. it was supposed to be a quick frame off resto over a year or two. it spiraled into a huge project. air ride and back-half, big tires, narrow the rear end. it just didn't end. it is still just a bare frame and everything is in pieces some body work done. i just took a couple months off of working on it(out of sight out of mind) and now with the warm weather seeing all the cars come out for the summer got me motivated to get on it again. i haven't had hardly any help and its hard when you see the same thing and it looks like there is nothing getting done. but you just gotta plug through. i think you will be happy when you start driving it and get that spark back!!!!
yourgrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #73
NINERS1

I know how u feel, i've had my 71 for 5 years now and its not even a frame off!! but it is my daily driver, i too got burned out and didn't touch it for 3 years, but got back on this site and that got me motivated to finish it, not nearly as nice as yours but still nice. so glad to hear your back at it!!

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #74
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I got burned out on my 1972 GMC and it sat for over a year with the entire front end ripped off of it. (It was a 3 year project, and it is still onging.) Nothin' but 2 frame rails, a crossmember, and an engine from the firewall forward. Then one day one of my buddies came by and asked about the truck. We went out to the shop, and he grabbed some tools and started wrenching...

Within 3 to 4 hours we had the engine and trans out, and the frame rails and crossmember all cleaned of grease and oil. Engine on a stand, and the tranny shoved in a corner. Then the fire was relit for me...

If it wouldn't have been for my buddy stopping by, I would have parted the truck out on craigslist. I am so glad I kept the truck... It's now a 400hp, noisy, monstrosity... my neighbors hate me, but I love it...

If you can... keep pluggin' away... you won't regret it in the long run.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #75
davebloomer

I know the feeling. Hope you don't give up on it but it is a big job. I had mine for sell for a few months but once I did a lil more work to it I have the spark again. it's frustrating to have things you wanna do but time/cash prevents you from being able to do it.

In your build thread refer to the pictures in post 3 and video in post 49... that oughta light a flame. Good luck to ya and just do whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by davebloomer; 04-10-2010 at 03:05 PM.
davebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote