The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
rjn72

dually wheels

I have a 1987 v30 crew cab dually. My question is, Will dual wheels interchange between Ford, dodge, GM, etc. It is a new truck to me and I am looking at buying tires. I found a set of new tires mounted on 16.5 wheels, but the wheels are on an 81 Ford dually. My wheels ar 16, so the tires do me no good unless I can use the wheels also. I bought the truck because it was a sweet deal, but I don't have any experience with duallys. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Re: dually wheels

Most all of them have the same bolt pattern up to a certain year of Ford. I think its 97 and up, but not sure, that are different on the Ford. Coming from an 81, it should fit. Most experiance I have had is Ford, and Dodge fit Chevy, but Chevy doesnt fit Ford unless you clearance the center of the wheel to fit the hub. Someone chime in if I missed something. I would only use the 16.5s if youre getting a good deal, because that size rim limits your options for tire sizes.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
USSkoval

Ford changed their bolt pattern size in '99 with the Super Duty, and '97 with the rounded f250 (they were 7-lug). Other than those, all brands used the same bolt spacing, but the GM trucks has a smaller center opening, except maybe the dually. The center opening does not cause us GM guys any problems.
USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Yeah, I would avoid the 16.5's, as far as I know Cooper and BF Goodrich are the only companies left making a 16.5 tire. There may be some off brands but that's it for the big boys.

There are some Alcoa lookalikes for about $680 a set on ebay. And on tires I have run Kuhmo's on my duallies and have had really good results, with a good price tag.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
USSkoval

Yeah, except the 16.5's are said to have new tires mounted on them, so it doesn't matter what is still available. When they wear out, just mount a set of 16's back on the original wheels.
USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
rjn72

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSkoval View Post
Yeah, except the 16.5's are said to have new tires mounted on them, so it doesn't matter what is still available. When they wear out, just mount a set of 16's back on the original wheels.
that is what i was thinking. I just wasn't sure if the wheels would fit my truck. i will keep my 16 inch wheels, then when the 16.5s wear out I can go back with them. Thanks for all the help.