The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #76
69halfton

Re: Don't Ruin The Value Of Classic Trucks

greenbd71,

i Do agree that the topic has indeed drifted from what you originally asked. but consider that most of the people, myself included, are into trucks because its the only AFFORDABLE antique vehicle they can buy. sure there are some guys out there that can drop 30,000 bucks on a beautifully restored truck, not even notice it, and then drive it around like its a daily...but most of the guys that own these are working class guys (and girls) that just want a little run-around town hotrod to play with..

I have no problem with the highly restored show trucks selling for under what they are worth, it keeps our trucks affordable and if anything it helps to grow the truck side of the market, as more people will turn to them as an alternative to the over-inflated muscle car scene.

also, consider this. the genre of buyer at barret jackson auctions is not exactly a "poor" man. yes there are some screaming deals go through there, but usually the screamin' deal is still on a vehicle sold for over 20,000 dollars. if you are a rich man, and you are looking to spend say.. 60,000 dollars at barret jackson, your telling me you would come home with a truck?!? people spend that kind of money for an "image", a look, and at the price range of that auction, a pickup truck does not fit the "image" of the buyer...

and, lets face it, did you buy your last truck thinking to yourself "self, I'll buy this truck because when it comes time to sell it, I'll make money on it"

...I know for me, I bought it because I liked it, I could afford it, and I have no plans to sell.

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #77
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69halfton View Post
greenbd71,

i Do agree that the topic has indeed drifted from what you originally asked. but consider that most of the people, myself included, are into trucks because its the only AFFORDABLE antique vehicle they can buy. sure there are some guys out there that can drop 30,000 bucks on a beautifully restored truck, not even notice it, and then drive it around like its a daily...but most of the guys that own these are working class guys (and girls) that just want a little run-around town hotrod to play with..

I have no problem with the highly restored show trucks selling for under what they are worth, it keeps our trucks affordable and if anything it helps to grow the truck side of the market, as more people will turn to them as an alternative to the over-inflated muscle car scene.

also, consider this. the genre of buyer at barret jackson auctions is not exactly a "poor" man. yes there are some screaming deals go through there, but usually the screamin' deal is still on a vehicle sold for over 20,000 dollars. if you are a rich man, and you are looking to spend say.. 60,000 dollars at barret jackson, your telling me you would come home with a truck?!? people spend that kind of money for an "image", a look, and at the price range of that auction, a pickup truck does not fit the "image" of the buyer...

and, lets face it, did you buy your last truck thinking to yourself "self, I'll buy this truck because when it comes time to sell it, I'll make money on it"

...I know for me, I bought it because I liked it, I could afford it, and I have no plans to sell.
This reminds me of a show I saw about 3 Months back on Cable.
Damn if I can remember the name, but it was a Guy (restorer),
that had S H I T loads of money.
He bought a 67-68 Camaro and spent (from My Memory)<
$130K on it for a Ground up Rebuild/Restoration. Nothing but the best, with the intent to sell it at Auction to purely make a profit.
He had a Reserve of I think it was $80K.
After all the bidding it only got up to somewhere around $50K. He started to drive it off the Auction Black, and at the last second, he lifted the Reserve. I think it STILL only sold for around $55K or so.
He was like "Oh well....Live and Learn".

I'm restoring my Truck because I love to see it come to fruition, from my dream. I hope I NEVER have to sell it, but if I do, it'll be to recoup (most likely) 50%-60% of what I put in it, IF I'm lucky.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #78
beebster

Location: Aurora,Il ..born,raised and still live in the same house

Greenbd71

i wouldn't even dream of criticizing another persons opinion or put them down for expressing it.
I think this back and forth, agree and disagree is good for me, i like to see other opinions and ideas, I can't tell you how many times i've read a post and said "oh yea, never thought of that"
Trucks that are bagged, dropped with 20 in. rims don't appeal to me in the slightest, in fact i think it ruins the truck. But there are folks on here who probably would laugh at some of the dumb crap i've thought about doing.
I'm new to this board and i can see there are some who just like to disagree on everything and some who just like to start stuff.But there are many many more good folks on here that have taught me ideas that i can't even put a pricetag on. One thing we ALL agree on is that we love trucks.
hang in there, your input is valuable.

beeb
beebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #79
prairewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbd71 View Post
I feel like I have entered the Redneck twilight zone. Please read the post before you make judge mental comments. I said restored Chevy Trucks not rusted, work, grocery getters, spray on bed-lined, or farm trucks sitting in a field. Restored is not a chrome Edelbrock air cleaner on a Edelbrock carb. I am talking about $27,000 and higher fully restored trucks going for half of what they are worth. The key word was restored and I was called a Idiot and even a flamer from some guy because he has no life and posted a million post and is bitter cause I got a lot of responses and this is only my first post. I am from Tennessee so I can use the Redneck word above. I know what a hobby is and that is not what I posted. The auctions like Barrett Jackson set the value of these trucks when they are restored by the price when they are sold. I was not talking about Billy Bob's $1,500 truck with rust holes in the door panels and cut up radio panel to fit his Walmart FM stereo. Yes these are trucks and maybe they will not be the value of a Lamborghini but it will help if you ever part with your truck when you go to sell it or claim a insurance claim. I just cannot read 70 responses and only 1 or 2 guys had a clue of what I was trying to get across. I do appreciate some of the members that welcomed me to the forum and thank you.
greenbd71, ... I do not even know how to respond to your first post, but I think every body else did a good job responding to it, your first post on this topic was just an opinion or a thought, and every one else gave you their own opinions or thoughts.

Nobody is hating on anybody, .. if we were all standing around in a shop or garage we would all get along.

I paid about 1000$ over original window sticker price for my 72 Sub so I am doing my part for the market.

that Redneck Twilight Zone comment actually made me laugh, ...I think my Wife enters that zone when she looks at my barn door Sub.

life is good,kent
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #80
junkyardjohn

AUCTIONS LIKE BARRETT JACKSON ARE NOT & NEVER WILL BE A TRUE SCALE OF WHAT THESE TRUCKS ARE WORTH TO THE AVERAGE WORKING NON-MILLIONAIRE TYPE PERSON. THE LAST SWB BB TRUCK THAT I DID A FRAME OFF ON I SOLD FOR $16,000. SEEMS LIKE ALOT, BUT I HAD OVER $10,000 & 3,000 HOURS OF LABOR IN IT. I USSUALLY LIKE TO MAKE MORE THAN $2 AN HOUR, BUT IT'S A HOBBY & SURE WAS FUN. WHEN YOURS IS DONE PUT A 4 SALE SIGN IN IT WITH A $75,000 PRICE TAG ON IT. IT'LL SELL FOR THAT..... SOMEDAY. WELCOME TO THE BOARD FULL OF ALL KINDS OF TRUCK ENTHUSIASTS. (BY THE WAY.. THE STATE WHERE YOU HAPPEN TO RESIDE ALONE DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU AS A REDNECK OR HILLBILLY. SOME OF US REAL REDNECKS TAKE OFFENCE TO IT BEING USED IN A DEROGITORY WAY). IT'S A STATE OF MIND... NOT A GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION. A COUNTRY BOY WILL ALWAYS SURVIVE LONG AFTER ALL THE CITY FOLKS JUST FADE AWAY INTO THE CROWD. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 04-16-2010 at 12:22 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote