The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
manimal

Not very happy!

Yesterday I went to register my '79 crewcab dually. When I bought it the guy handed me a CLEAN pink slip. I verified the vin to the truck and was happy...it was all good....anyhow when I hand the lady @ DMV the title,she pulls it up and says"It's SALVAGED"....WHAT!!!!???? Now I need to get a brake and light inspection,vin verification,weight cert,smog. I am pissed!
I hate crooked people. I cant find any frame or body damage(cab>rearward),but did notice that the left front fender,hood and core support had been replaced....It's a 31 yr old truck I expect things like that,but not to be lied to.
So I have decided to sell it...I am done with it...want it GONE. Check out the classifieds if interested.
Rant over.....
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
rockn30809

Re: Not very happy!

Is there no legal action you can take? Always thought if you were selling a salvage vehicle you had to disclose it? Either way that sucks.

Last edited by rockn30809; 04-15-2010 at 12:11 PM.
rockn30809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
bigarmzz

if you werent so far away, this would be sold
Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
wiscburb

Was your truck ever registered in another state? I recently bought a truck that had a clean title, but came up with a "Junk" title when I brought it home. The people at the DMV counter were not helpful at all, but when I called the DMV and talked to someone, she told me that it was probably an error.

Apparently what happens is when a vehicle moves to another state, the DMV of the state on the receiving end sends a notice to the state where it used to be titled, basically telling them to take the title off their books, it's in the new state now. That notice is marked with one of several reasons for transfer -- simple sale, junk, salvage, etc. In my case the title was marked junk in error. My DMV was able to resolve the problem in a couple of days.

I bought a Carfax report "package" and I still have a few days left. If you'd like, I can run a report for your VIN and e-mail it to you. If Carfax says the title is not salvage, your DMV will take you a lot more seriously.

One tip: Ask the DMV for the date the title became a "salvage" title. If this is AFTER the date on the title the seller gave you, there's no way it can be anything but an error.

If you'd like, PM me with your VIN and I'll run the report for you.

1989 Chevy Suburban 4x4
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero
wiscburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
C10Silverado79

FWIW - I tried to run the VIN for my 79 through CarFax cause I had some extra reports and the VIN was too old. CarFax could not run a vehicle that old.
C10Silverado79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
wiscburb

Hmmm... Silverado, I think you're right about that. But definitely ask the DMV about the dates -- that may save you a lot of hassle!

1989 Chevy Suburban 4x4
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero
wiscburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
manimal

John, pm sent Thank You.
-Lance
Old 04-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I bought an el camino once, not only did it come back salvaged title, but 4 years later I got a call from the local fuzz, the car was stolen 10 years before I bought it. Seems in OK you can buy and sell used cars, transfer titles, get tags and all the good stuff... even if it is stolen and in NCIC database. Since I was the one who had it and modified it and primered it, of course I was the one who had stolen it. Despite it being reported 5 years before I owned it...

Cops found it on the side of the highway and ran the VIN, came back stolen and in my name. Dumb sob who bought it from me never transferred the title. Bill of sale to the rescue.

I was basically told when it came back salvaged title, 'tough luck buyer beware on used cars'. I was mad enough to spit bullets. I feel your pain and understand your frustration!
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
manimal

I was on the phone for hours yesterday trying to find out why this truck was salvaged...NO LUCK! I hate DMV they are a bunch of jerks. I know there is a history of this vehicle and noone is willing to help. I give up. Somebody needs this thing..even for parts!!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Wow damn man that totally sucks I hate shady people for real! I also hate having to deal with the DMV cause they are nothing but a major PITA almost always! Rant over with lol
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #11
spinem
haha, ford guys...

dude, dont take that for an answer, the dmv r bullies, bullie back and they will fold. if you have a clean title smack them in the face with it. IT SAYS CLEAN!!! now ur telling me its dirty??? no no no, see right here ________ whats that word? CLEAN
beach, and beach and beach until you get your way, ask to speak to the supervisor.

Last edited by spinem; 04-17-2010 at 03:25 AM.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
manimal

When I talked to them,they said the owner 'MUST' have bought it back from the insurance company,but that still does not explain why an new title was not issued...unless the guy kept the original title and used it for selling purposes.??? I just want to find out if it was covered as 'stated value' or market value and why it was salvaged.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
I just want to find out if it was covered as 'stated value' or market value and why it was salvaged.

I would look into that before selling it.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Unhappy Re: Not very happy!

I'm sure every state is different, but I know here in OK if the vehicle is over 8 years old (could have changed, going off of data I know is accurate 2 years ago) and it was deemed a total loss, no salvage title was required due to the cars age. So an owner could retain salvage, fix it and sell it and not have to disclose it. Only time a dealership has to disclose that sort of information, is if it is on the carfax somehow or the repairs were done at their facility.

But seriously, what would it take to total a 30 year old truck? If they were rear ended and a bumper had to be replaced, chances are they just paid it off as a total and closed the file. Nothing against the truck, but we all know what the book values are on older vehicles.

I was probably 30 years old before the car I owned and drove did not have a salvage title. Once the car is so old, it just really does not matter as long as you have a title. I can see the issue buying a new car, salvage title seriously diminishes the value and no one wants it.

Also, a lot of insurance companies are not doing stated value policies on older vehicles. Seriously, once you get your older vehicle fixed up and worth a few more bucks, you want to cover it, but it's getting harder to do. Will suck to have to go through Lloyds of London just to cya.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
turbo350

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinem View Post
dude, dont take that for an answer, the dmv r bullies, bullie back and they will fold. if you have a clean title smack them in the face with it. IT SAYS CLEAN!!! now ur telling me its dirty??? no no no, see right here ________ whats that word? CLEAN
beach, and beach and beach until you get your way, ask to speak to the supervisor.
x2. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.
turbo350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #16
chevyman95

have you contacted the seller? They have anything to say?
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #17
87gmcsierra

really not that big of a deal i got my truck with a salvage title and its never had any big problems.
87gmcsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87gmcsierra View Post
really not that big of a deal i got my truck with a salvage title and its never had any big problems.
I dont know how it is where you are, but most insurances will double on you /w/ a sal title.

People around here will run from a sal title.

AAAANNNNDDD theres always the factor of was it repaired correctly? Bent frame? Sectioned frame? exc exc.

out here the only ppl that buy sal titles are people that plan on making a race car/4xr
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
camshaftgsxr

i don't know about your state but here in nc you can sue for nondisclosure if the previous owner didn't tell you it was salvaged and he/she knew it was, i'd call and talk to a laywer and ask they should be able to tell you
Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
USSkoval

My brother's Camaro has a salvage title and is in my name, the insurance is no higher than any of my Camaros. Also, sounds like the truck in question was salvaged recently (what's the issue date on your clean title?), so the damage was likely very minor. It doesn't take much to total an older vehicle, my brother's Camaro is a perfect example.

'77 K5 Blazer
'78 K10 Shortbed
'78 C20 Suburban
'79 K30 Crew Cab Dually
'84 C10 Short Stepside
'88 K20 Suburban

USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #21
manimal

Yeah, I have AAA insurance and on another truck I had w/salvage title, I got FULL coverage for the same as non-salvage. Insurance doesn't change for me. I am just pissed that it was withheld from me.
-Lance