The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
chevlwb68

Bed Wood Advice

Sorry for another post on Bed advice, but I am contemplating the choice between Pine and Oak for my bed. I know Oak is better and stronger, but Pine is so much more affordable.

I have priced both at places like Home Depot and Lowes. Is there a better (cheaper) alternative place to shop for wood/lumber?

Also, is there an alternative of wood that would be in the middle as far as price?

I have a full wood shop with every tool available and my friend who is a woodworker to help cut everything so I can save on doing it ourselves vs ordering a pre-cut kit.

I am in Portland, Or. Does anyone local know of a lumber place, sawmill or anything else, that sells to the public that would be cheaper than going to place like Home Depot, etc.

Thank you all for any advice.
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
chevlwb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Bed Wood Advice

good wood aint cheap// to make the wood yourself i believe GMC PAULS website has all the correct dimensions listed// check your yellow pages for boat building supplies , or specialty woods for cabinet builders// theres alot of interesting alternitives,sometimes antique recycled wood is nice/// some companies like glass and marble importers recieve thier stock in hardwood shipping crates and the wood with work can b made very nice if you can make the connection to get it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
junkyardjohn

Wow.. Too bad your so far away. I just had a portable band saw come in & cut just over 3,000 board feet of oak this last week. Know anybody in the area that would be willing to ship you a pile? I'm just to darn busy to do it. John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
chevlwb68

Aw man I wish I knew someone close to you in Kentucky. Well if you find the time and want to ship it, I would pay for the shipping obviously.

Good wood is expensive. Oak prices around here would cost me about $300 in wood, then the time and labor to do it. Spend just a little more and get it all pre-cut in a kit. Decisions decisions.
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
chevlwb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
gkesseru

As another woodworker, I do not recommend Red Oak for any truck since it is an open grain wood and will cause a lot of problems. White oak is close grained and will work much better.
Your woodworker friend should know who has non-construction grade lumber in your area. If not, try this site.
http://www.woodfinder.com/#zip or
http://www.woodcrafters.us/NewPhotoGallery/Lumber.php
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote