The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
bigkahuna327

Late Model Radio in 67-72 Truck

I was at a car show over the weekend and saw this truck with a late model radio installed where the stock heater control unit would have been. Has anyone else done this, and if so, will the stock opening accept a 1 DIN radio or is there any type of metal work that needs to be done.

Steven
bigkahuna327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Mudder

Re: Late Model Radio in 67-72 Truck

What would you do for a heater? Most just cut the dash for the newer radios. Measure about 5 times before you mark and cut. There are probably other threads here about this.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
bigkahuna327

I'm planning to install a vintage air system that will have the heater controls already build in so no need for the old control unit. I saw a picture of what I'm talking about doing and just wanted to know how much metal work may be involved since I don't have a radio on hand to take a measurement off of.

Here's the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna327 View Post
I'm planning to install a vintage air system that will have the heater controls already build in so no need for the old control unit. I saw a picture of what I'm talking about doing and just wanted to know how much metal work may be involved since I don't have a radio on hand to take a measurement off of.

Here's the pictures.
Why reinvent the wheel?

Personally if I was gonna make it custom I would have a billet plate machined for both areas and leave the radio at the top because the area is better suited for a stereo. Do the same below with the AC controls.(just seems like there isnt enough visual meat around the stereo)
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
bigkahuna327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
Why reinvent the wheel?

Personally if I was gonna make it custom I would have a billet plate machined for both areas and leave the radio at the top because the area is better suited for a stereo. Do the same below with the AC controls.(just seems like there isnt enough visual meat around the stereo)
Why not reinvent the wheel??? We do it everyday...

I wan to do this because I plan on fabricating an insert to put in where the ashtray goes that would hold 2 drinks and since I adjust the radio more than I do the A/C, I would prefer it to be accesable. Plus I like the look of the 1-Din face Radio located lower in the dash and it makes it easier to install the radio around the A/C-Heater unit that will be totally located under the dash.

I agree there needs to be something else around either side of the radio, but thought about installing 2 cig lighters for phone charger/radar detector.

I have plans to relocate the ignition switch/key to somewhere else do it seems like a small touch that didn't stand out like a sore thumb.