The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
cyberpine

How can I tell if I have a dirty or rusty fuel tank or system?

87 C10. Seems to choke at random. How can I tell if I have rust in my fuel tank or system?

Thanks.

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: How can I tell if I have a dirty or rusty fuel tank or system?

Pull the fuel filter, then dissect, rust sorta looks like coffee grounds. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

find a place to install a clear fuel filter
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the answers here are correct but i just wanted to make sure you knew when you put in the clear filter make sure that the heat of the motor wont melt it cause the truck will fry if you dont

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
cyberpine

Can this clear filter replace the factory sealed one? Any reason the filter could not be under the hood closer to the injectors?

Are there any filters in the market that can be cleaned and reused?

Thanks.

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)

Last edited by cyberpine; 04-24-2010 at 10:29 AM.
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
cableguy0

The clear inline filters arent rated for pressure. I would not use one in a pressure situation where an electric pump is used for fuel injection. The factory ones are metal so they dont blow apart under pressure. The clear filters are meant for carbed apps and normally used in low pressure situations. There arent any rubber lines to tap into on a tbi system anyhow. The best thing to do if your concerned with rust is to just drop the tank and take the sending unit out. Look inside the tank and it will instantly tell the story. You will either see shiny metal or a bunch of trash laying there.Chances are the tank has a bunch of trash in it. These trucks always do. New tanks are relatively cheap for that reason.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

the best way is to take the tank out and check it out
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

I think Purolator still makes a glass and metal fuel filter with replaceable element. It comes in a kit for different diameter hoses - about $10 the last time I bought one. I used it on my old 73 which had a lot of rust in the tank - kept replacing filters until they cleared up. I had two in series, one near the tank and one near the carb, in addition to the regular carburetor inlet nut filter. You do have to watch them to make sure that they remain snug and don't leak. Of course, removing the tank and cleaning it is the best way, but I would go the see through filter route first. You really can see the dirt and rust particles floating in the filter - kinda cool. If you have only hard lines and not much rubber lines, then this won't work. Good luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
HOGDADDY

I had problems with my carb'd engine and later found out the sock from the in tank sending unit had fell off and it was sucking trash from the bottom of tank.
I put new tank on and sending unit and all is well now. Probably could have just cleaned out original tank though and just replaced sock,

Fyi those glass filters are hazardous (can't believe they still make them) I know of several instances where engines caught fire using those. DO NOT USE A GLASS FILTER under any circumstance!

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-24-2010 at 07:49 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
cableguy0

Glass fuel filters are an incredibly bad idea. Glass breaks and fuel sprays out. There are lots of really nice cars that are now a charred mess because of glass fuel filters. If you dont like fire dont use glass filters.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
3r!c84
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Glass fuel filters are an incredibly bad idea. Glass breaks and fuel sprays out. There are lots of really nice cars that are now a charred mess because of glass fuel filters. If you dont like fire dont use glass filters.

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

AHHH, crap in the tank memories. Back before a lot of you were driving was the oil shortage of 74. Fuel was rationed. In New York city you could only get gas every other day depending on wheather your plate was odd or even and then only 10 gallons. Bob will remember this. Fuel quality was poor at best to boot. Water and sediments were the rule. I remember taking an old 2 quart fire extingusher, welding in some fittings and a drain and using that as a seperator with 2 filters after it. Flush your tank out, get the inside coated, replace the sender sock and you'll be good to go. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
BigRed 74'

Yea I just had this problem, had a new engine and everything put in. Went home for R&R and found that when the engine was swapped nothing was done about the fuel tank that sat for three years. Well rust got into the carb and truck would not idle after giving it gas, so now I am having to replace tank, sending unit and rebuild the carb. The tank and sending unit were fairly cheap so I recommend if you have the issue just replace it.
BigRed 74' is offline   Reply With Quote