The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
wayfastwhitey
right below above average joe

just weird. help wanted.

i put another 305 in my truck and i have a couple concerns. when the truck is cranking before it actually starts the fuel filter pulsates. it also runs like no matter where i put the timing, i have tried and tried to make sure it runs okay but it just wont. and i dont know if it has anything to do with it or not but i had a really hard time, and still do but not as bad, getting the truck started until i put a whole can of starting fluid in the tank. what would be a good way to test whether or not i have water in the gas? i noticed a week or two ago that my fuel cap went missing and it had rained alot a few weeks before that. and i'm hoping all the smoke coming from the rebreather and filter on the valve covers is from old carbon being burnt off and not blow by cause alot of smoke also comes up out of the carb when i shut it off. its not blue so i don't suspect blow by. not sure what to do.

i flush the of weakness with mushroom clouds at hand

'95 short bed x cab c1500...
just another old truck someone else beat up, abused, hacked and didnt respect... my turn to turn it into a beat up old truck into a beat up and reliable pleasure to drive...

them- "when you gonna put an exhaust on that thing?"

me- "what do you mean? The exhaust comes all the way to the bumber and sounds great!"

them- "straight pipes isnt an exhaust man..."

me- "meh... who needs a fancy muffler when you've got straight pipes? its got a cat, doesnt resonate, and I like how it sounds, and to be perfectly honest, it makes me behave myself when I'm out and about!"

^^^ favorite conversation about my truck to date
wayfastwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
wayfastwhitey

Re: just weird. help wanted.

reason i think it might be carbon burning off is i soaked the combustion chambers with marvel mystery oil for about two weeks. thinkin maybe it loosened alot up but it had nowhere to go

just another old truck someone else beat up, abused, hacked and didnt respect... my turn to turn it into a beat up old truck into a beat up and reliable pleasure to drive...

me- "what do you mean? The exhaust comes all the way to the bumber and sounds great!"

me- "meh... who needs a fancy muffler when you've got straight pipes? its got a cat, doesnt resonate, and I like how it sounds, and to be perfectly honest, it makes me behave myself when I'm out and about!"

Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
cableguy0

If you have smoke coming from anywhere other than the exhaust its not good. Thats a sure sign of a very worn engine. Smoke out of the breathers while running is an indication of a lot of combustion gasses in the crankcase caused by excess blowby. Does the engine have a lot of oil leaks? Does the dipstick pop out of the tube?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
cableguy0

Blue smoke will never come out of the breathers. Blue smoke out the exhaust is the indication of blowby. On the same token the combustion gasses get pushed into the crankcase which causes the white smoke your seeing. I would do a compression test on the engine and start from there. That will tell the story.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
wayfastwhitey

dip stick does come out, i bought a new one from autozone and can't seem to get it to go in right

Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
wayfastwhitey

my oil is either leaking from the rear main or the rear seal on the pan. put new gasket on the pan and the rear main didn't even look bad. not looking forward to pulling the trans to get to it.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
wayfastwhitey

i did a compression test with the old heads (bent valves ) 0 compression and it wouldn't run. took the tool back to autozone and swapped heads and now it runs.