The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Slofarmtruck

Gas tank removal?

I will be installing a new gas tank on my 86 C10 long bed truck this coming weekend and am looking for some advice on the best route to take. My biggest challenge is the plastic cover that surrounds the current gas tank. Does this cover just unbolt? I currently have a 3 line sending unit and since I removed my emmissions components on my truck do I need to order another 3 line unit or will the 2 line unit work? or am I not thinking this 3 line 2 line thing properly. I hope this all makes sense. I just figured the 3 line was a supply, return and vent for emmissions, and the 2 line was a supply and return. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Slofarmtruck; 04-20-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Slofarmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
HOGDADDY

Re: Gas tank removal?

The plastic piece unbolts. If you 2 line would need a vented gas cap I believe.

I found a black gas cap stuck in between that plastic piece and tank.....maybe it was done at factory?

I replaced my tank and went with stock 3 line sender with no problems and have emission disconnected.

I also took the bed off for better access on my 86 to the tank it made life easier in long run.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-21-2010 at 12:44 AM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Hi Slofarmtruck,

I think all the sending units have a vent line. In other words:

2-line sending unit = feed & vent (no return). 3-line sending unit = feed, vent, and return.

Both my dad's 77 and my rusty 77 plow truck have the "heavy duty" emissions systems (no cats, no egr, no canisters ... etc). They both have 3-line sending units. But the vent lines (that would go to a canister on a "light duty" emission setup) just have a short piece of rubber hose coming off the sending units leading to plastic vent caps just like the ones used for axle & transfer case vents.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
ggtsvnv

one thing you might do and it helped me was bolt the plastic cover on the tank first. Then put the tank in, I found it easier then trying to put it on after the tank was in place.
ggtsvnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Rogue_Sentinel

take the bed off
"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

Hunter S THompson
Rogue_Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Slofarmtruck

Thanks for the advice. I ordered my new gas tank and went with the standard 3 line sending unit. I am hoping the parts arrive by this weekend. SO is the bed held in place by just 6 nuts? I know I will need to disconnect the tail lights and fuel filler neck and is that it? Seems to easy lol....which means its probably not.

Last edited by Slofarmtruck; 04-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
dgodecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Sentinel View Post
take the bed off
Cutting torch and ear plugs.
It does have a 427 block and parts from various 427 motors. It will end up with a nice strong 454 in the end.
It has not been run for 20+ years
Frame up restoration started2/15/2010
dgodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
6772fan

Another vote for removing the bed. Yes, it;s the 6 bolts and fuel filler neck, plus the electrical at the rear. Also double check right above your differential as it may have a vent hose connected to the bottom of the bed. Bed is not light, but 2-3 strong guys can handle it. I used a cherry picker to lift mine.

1979 Chevy SWB- (Second owner- Father in Law was first)

1979 Chevy Silverado SWB-Red/Red
6772fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Slofarmtruck

Well new gas tank and sender arrived today! Hooray for 1 day shipping. Tried working on loosening one bed bolt and failed so a big torch will have to be brought home from work as removing the bed just seems the easiest. Plus it will allow me to clean my rear frame and paint it.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
tucsonjwt

I used two concrete blocks and stacked 2x4s laid flat until they were snug up against the bottom of the tank. Remove the plastic cover first, loosen the bolts on the straps, remove the 2x4s one at a time until the tank clears the truck. Reinstall tank, make sure to use the anti-squeak pads. If you don't have a vapor recovery cannister, then one line has a short hose and plastic cap for venting (shows a black cap on center tube on fuel sending unit in picture below.)
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
skhurst18

Looks like you just did the same thing I did, but I upgraded my tanks from 16 gallon to 20 gallon. I am having a problem finding the 20 gallon cover for the passenger side tank. I found the driver side cover at a pullapart last week for 5 dollars. I can't seem to find the proper name for this part to find on any auto parts websites.
Attached Images

skhurst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
Slofarmtruck

I like the idea of painting the tank. Looks like you used some underbody coating. Great idea!!
Old 04-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Slofarmtruck

Well bolts in the bed just spin with the nuts so moved back to just taking the gas tank out and had a small fuel fire which was put out as quickly as possible. Looks like just the fuel that was sitting in between the tank and plastic cover burned. Decided to call it quits while I was still somewhat ahead and am heading to a friends shop with a proper lift to complete this project tonight. So far score is Truck 1 - Me 0!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
skhurst18

Had the same problem with my hardware on the bed of my truck. Had to cut off nut and bolt with dremel. I replaced all the bed hardware with new galvanized carriage bolts and nuts.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
Slofarmtruck

I ended up not having to remove the bed as a friend let me use his lift work on my truck. New tank is in and gas gauge works again so I am a happy guy.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #16
Colesnsty68

Not to hijack but what is a vent line?

"And i still like bologna on white bread now and then" -Alan Jackson
Colesnsty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
donut

Just as the name implies, a vent line. Most everything has to "breathe" some how. My 4x4 has one on each diff, transfer case, transmission and one on my gas tank. I haven't had much luck finding a vented gas cap locally.

Vent is probably a length of hose with a "tophat" fitting on the end. (I don't know how else to describe it)

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
tucsonjwt

I got the vent cap for my differential from Classic Parts. Fortunately, I was able to save the original black vent caps for the gas tanks. If you look closely in the pix above you will see a black cap shoved into the end of a short piece of hose on the middle vent. I found out that these vents come apart in two pieces (cap and stem) and just snap back together. I took them apart to clean them before reinstallation. No clamps needed - just a friction fit inside the hose. Supply, return, and vent tube all take different size hoses.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #19
jesdude7789

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhurst18 View Post
Looks like you just did the same thing I did, but I upgraded my tanks from 16 gallon to 20 gallon. I am having a problem finding the 20 gallon cover for the passenger side tank. I found the driver side cover at a pullapart last week for 5 dollars. I can't seem to find the proper name for this part to find on any auto parts websites.
what product did you use on your gas tanks for the coating? i bought some 3M Underbody coating in the spray can and it's disappointing but yours looks alot tougher like LINE X truck bed coating! thanks
jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #20
skhurst18

I used a product by Rusfre called Chunky Stuff. If you decide to use this, remeber to apply lightly on the first coat. It tends to run if you apply heavily after you let it sit and takes longer to cure. Had to touch up a couple of spots. I let it sit for a week before I added 2nd coat. Works and looks great. Here is a link to their website and a pic of the product.

http://raybuck.com/i-68761-rusfre-ch...ercoating.html
Attached Images