The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
scum1

New to chevy trucks, build questions

New to the automotive builds, built some bikes...really want an old chevy truck, preferably put some hands on work into it. so here are some things i have found on my local craigslist...does 1+1+1=truck here, or am i far off..thanks in advance
Attached Images

scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: New to chevy trucks, build questions

Welcome to the forum

If you're asking if the engine and trans can be put into the truck, then the answer is yes they will fit. Although, I don't know how good of a rebuild you are going to get on a 700R4 for $495.00. A quality rebuild on one is typically 3 to 4 times that much. The engine is hard to say since it does have some miles on it. Would be better if you could hear it run. Oh and that truck isn't a '63. It's a '64-5-6....by the fender emblem it's a '64.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 04-30-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
scum1

thanks for the response! so....motor tranny combo would work..
--i def agree about the motor and being able to hear it, but aside from that most 350 motors around that price MIGHT be a good find??

--as far as the transmission i searched for the 700R4 because it seems to be the most popular upgrade is that correct? are there any other compatible automatic transmissions anyone would recommend? And what price range should i be looking at? that 700R4 seemed a little low, and by saying "I don't know how good of a rebuild you are going to get.." did you mean that trans might need to be rebuilt?

sorry for all the unresearched/mis-asked questions...tony
Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum. Before deciding on an engine/trans package, I'd focus on whether the truck is worth owning, and is within your ability to complete. Trucks of this vintage are prone to routine problems which are usually easy to determine. If it's your first build, get the best truck you can afford, it will save a lot of time and money in the end. Unless you can do body work yourself, the most important thing to avoid is rust, since repairing it can be very expensive. Here's a thread which points out common things to look for in the 60-66 series:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bu...uide_60_66.htm

Regarding the transmission, a good old reliable Turbo 350 is relatively inexpensive and durable, but nowhere near as efficient as a lock up overdrive automatic. Selection should be dependent on how you're going to drive it as much as what you can afford. If it's just going to be used locally - high speed freeway efficiency isn't as important, etc. Also whether it will be used like a passenger car - or a working vehicle will make a difference what will get you the biggest bang for your money. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes the 700R4 is a good OD trans for most uses. It is realtively easy to hook up, although it does need to be done correctly. The 700R4 evolved into the 4L60 and then the 4L60E which is an electronically controlled trans. That will need a computer to operate. I wouldn't recommend that for your first build. What I meant by "I don't know how good of a rebuild you are going to get on a 700R4 for $495.00" is I don't see how that could actually be a rebuilt transmission for only $495.00 when a quality rebuilt upgraded 700R4 typically goes for $1500-$2000.00. Granted the add says it comes with a warranty, but do you want to have to deal with it if there is a problem? Just trying to enlighten you a bit.

That 350 engine might not be a bad deal. In situations like that, I'll go look at it and go with how I feel about the person selling it. I can usually tell if the person is a BS'er or not. A rebuildable 350 engine should cost around $150-$200.00. If you're willing to take a little time to find an engine, I would look for a good '96 and up 350. they are a better engine with the factory roller cam and the best flowing heads GM ever made. It is not uncommon for them to go 200,000+ miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scum1 View Post
thanks for the response! so....motor tranny combo would work..
--i def agree about the motor and being able to hear it, but aside from that most 350 motors around that price MIGHT be a good find??

--as far as the transmission i searched for the 700R4 because it seems to be the most popular upgrade is that correct? are there any other compatible automatic transmissions anyone would recommend? And what price range should i be looking at? that 700R4 seemed a little low, and by saying "I don't know how good of a rebuild you are going to get.." did you mean that trans might need to be rebuilt?

sorry for all the unresearched/mis-asked questions...tony
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 04-30-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
scum1

great info from both you guys! As much as i love put my hands into everything i see, this being my first build i will take your guys advice, these are some great tips. ultimately this would be a toy, but id like to build it to be a reliable daily driver. im going to check out that link, and do some research on my own to better understand anything before i go diving into it. i would really like to put some work in myself if i can manage. thanks again for the responses. im sure ill have more questions sooner than later! love the site btw, lots of knowledge here