The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
will scratch

timing advance question

what are the advantages or dis advantages for locking out mechanical advance. how much advance is introduced into the engine by using it? any insight would be helpful. thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
fiddy9apache

Re: timing advance question

if your running alot of timing it will be hard to start in some cases with the advance unhooked.
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
cableguy0

Locking out the mechanical advance will kill your performance and mileage. locking out a distributor is typically only done on race engine which have another form of ignition advance electronically. The amount of timing provided by the mechanical advance depends on the distributor and the springs and weights used. Generally on a sbc you want 36-38 degrees total timing(initial plus mechanical. Then the vacuum advance will come in on top of that. usually sbc's like between 12-18 degrees of initial initial timing. Mechanical will provide the rest to get to the 36-38 range. Theres a good article at the top of the engine and drivetrain forum on how to properly set the mechanical advance and curve the distributor.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
will scratch

thanks that really helps. I'll check out the other post also.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Can only 'ditto' the cableguy's comments. Locking out the advance is fine if your at the track, launching the truck above 4000rpm so that the only time the motor sees anything below 3600-3800 is ideling around the pits. What it does is give you a rock solid baseline of whre your timing is (no revving it to the moon to see where the advance tops out) You set it at 37° at idle and (assuming no cam walk) it's at 37° everywhere in the rpm range. It's not a street thing by any means. Locking out the advance is only practicle when the operating range of the motor would be ABOVE any advance function.

Hey ya know one more thing it will do for you,, it test the strength of your starter and flexplate. I've seen more than one starter break the nose off on a high compression engine that had the advance locked out. If you don't have a start retard,, it's murder on starters.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
cableguy0

IN order to properly lock out the advance requires a good bit of money in electronics to make it right and function properly. Without a retard box you wont get an engine to start with 36 degrees of timing at idle.It would likely eat starters and flywheels for lunch.But either way its a race only thing and definately not streetable.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
team39763

What is a decent amount of initial timing to save the starter? I have 32* total and I have it set to start with 15*(or 20*) and ramps up to 32* by 1100rpms...idles around 750-900rpms with 20*. Mine is race-only.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
cableguy0

first off all 32 total isnt enough timing. without knowing what the engine is its impossible to tell you where it should be but regardless 32 is too low.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
team39763

I'm just wondering what amount of timing is easy on the starter? I may have worded it wrong before. Should I have the timing retarded to 20* or 15* or run full advance from starting rpms on up(just for starting)?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
cableguy0

what is your setup? need a bunch more info to fully answer that question. What engine? cam? heads? ignition system?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
team39763

LQ4, 22X cam, 823 heads, MSD ignition controller. It has less than stock compression. MSD box needs to see 300rpms before it turns on, so I started the timing off at 18 from that point then ramps up to 20 once at idle rpms(750-900). From 1100rpm+ it's 32*. I was just wondering if 18* is easy on the starter or do I need more?

Last edited by team39763; 05-09-2010 at 07:50 PM.
team39763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
cableguy0

If its not struggling to start your in good shape. You will know 100% for sure if you have too much timing while cranking. The starter will struggle or even kick back.