The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Gus63

Automatic tranny conversion

I am currently interested in converting my original 63 k10 4 speed truck to an automatic. I want to do this, but after thinking about it for a while, it seems like a lot of work. Does anybody have any experience on this matter on a 4wd pickup? What will I have to do as far as the transfer case goes, driveshafts, and just anything else that I would possibly have to do. I am new to this, so really don't have the faintest idea.
Gus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
nikwho

Re: Automatic tranny conversion

I have never done it but would imagine you would need an auto tranny with a 4wd tailshaft, patch the hole in the floor for the standard tranny shifter, replace or fab an auto tranny crossmember, buy flexplate to replace flywheel, torque converter, shifter, tranny cooler, and probably have the length of both driveshafts modified. I had thought about it myself with my 83, but its probably a lot easier to buy another truck thats got an automatic. The value difference between the two are not substantial and you could get a different comparable truck for the same price that you would sell yours for and not really have to shell any money out for the conversion. Or spend a couple thousand dollars converting your truck to auto without really increasing the value of it. Just a thought.