The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
kwmech

To sell or not to sell?

That is the question. I am at my frustration point. Bought a new house about 2 years ago and that is where all my time and money seems to go. I have had my 2 projects sitting for every bit of that time. One in the driveway and the other in the garage that is too small to work around in when the truck is in there. I've also got a 3rd truck that is a driver. Trucks in question are. The driver... 1968 GMC, low miles 108k original, 396, 435 trans, 3 fuel tanks, lumber rack, dana 60 rear with 3.54 gears and a powerloc diff. Garage queen....1968 chevy 1 ton longhorn, drives, not regis, fuel injected 454, custom built th400, converted to a 14 bolt rear with 3.42s a detroit. This truck also has a tow truck wheel lift on the back with air bags, dual batt, overhead light bar, buddy buckets tilt tach, all the goodies. Sitting in the driveway in a 69 GMC (once a class b motorhome) small block, t400, gear vendor, converted to a flatbed in progress. Pretty much loaded also. Thought is on getting the flatbed running with a big block and selling the rest of the 'collection' Also that was in the works is/was another longhorn (frame at the moment)that I was gonna convert to a 4x and put my offroad recovery unit on the back. Dumping that idea also. Sorry for the long post, thoughts? Getting burned out
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
junkyardjohn

Re: To sell or not to sell?

I TOOK A FEW YEAR BREAK FROM THESE WHILE I WAS BUILDING MY HOUSE TOO. TROUBLE WITH SELLING OFF YOUR STUFF THATS IRREPLACABLE IS THAT EVEYONE WILL WANT IT FOR 10 CENTS ON THE DOLLAR. COARSE I HAD PLENTY OF ROOM, BUT WAS MOVING FROM WESTERN NV. TO EASTERN KY. MY ADVICE IS TO KEEP ALL THE N.O.S. & RARE PARTS THAT YOU CAN, & AT LEAST ONE PROJECT. I'M STARTING TO WORK ON MY OLD TRUCKS AGAIN & WITH EVERY BOX I OPEN IT'S JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS WHEN I WAS A KID. WITH THIS ECONOMY BEING IN THE SH!TTER LIKE IT IS, YOU'LL TAKE A PRETTY GOOD BEATING ON THE $ HANG IN THERE. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
kwmech

Yeah, I can relate to the 'taking a beating' on the price scenario. That has been the main consideration about the fix I'm in, if you could call it that. Anyways , thanks for the reply.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
junkyardjohn

IF YOU DON'T NEED THE MONEY, I'D TRY TO FIND SOME SAFE, LONG TERM STORAGE. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO RENT ONE OF THOSE STORAGE UNITS, & I'VE NEVER RECOMENDED THAT TO ANYONE... EVER... BUT WHEN THERE GONE IT'S FOREVER. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Duncan and son

My dad "born 1911" always said one of the keys to a fulfilled life is to learn to Major on the majors and minor on the minors and have the wisdom to know the difference. I love these old trucks and spend alot of time with them but the house and family are majors and the trucks are minors. Plus it may not seem like it but they are replaceable.
Just thinking out loud Paul
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
big_al_71

I would suggest to sell and buy one already finished. The building and rebuilding of these old vehicles really gets old. There are more projects unfinished than there would ever be finished projects.

SELL!!!!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I would suggest to sell and buy one already finished. The building and rebuilding of these old vehicles really gets old. There are more projects unfinished than there would ever be finished projects.

SELL!!!!!!!
Not bad advice at all...

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
kwmech

That's about where my wife and I have decided to go. Keeping the flat bed we think would be more desirable as it could tow or move about anything we want. The sale of the others would help finance. Already have the majority of the parts and I could focus on just one and get it completed.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn View Post
IF YOU DON'T NEED THE MONEY, I'D TRY TO FIND SOME SAFE, LONG TERM STORAGE. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO RENT ONE OF THOSE STORAGE UNITS, & I'VE NEVER RECOMENDED THAT TO ANYONE... EVER... BUT WHEN THERE GONE IT'S FOREVER. JOHN
Storage of the trucks is not a real concern. I have 4.5 acres. The one in the garage doesn't have the doors fully assembled with glass and gaskets, that's why it's inside
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
fencepost

Me personaly I would keep one and sell the rest to complete the 1st.
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
Chief Bail

kwmech

you have to do what you gotta do bro. Hang in there. The road can get a lil ruff sometimes.
1978 GMC Jerr-Dan 454 Tonawanda 4spd FOR SALE
85 Chevy Wrecker 454 4spd AATAC
Always a Friend...Michael
Chief Bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
prairewolf

I sold 3 older Landcruisers and the good parts from a wreck one to my brother, I had plans in my head for most of em' and all that but am glad they are sold. ..... a southern member of this board made a lot of sense in a post once. ...he said something like,.. " Yea, that's it, start 2 projects and only get them both half done". ...... I had about 5 projects/ thoughts going and only had about a 1/5th done on those so he was right.

I finished all my old landcruiser projects in one fell swoop when I sold them.

I kept one perfect dash and one good grill so I ain't all bad

I am keeping the 67cst and 67cst parts truck.

I am going to sell my Sub when I get a decent/move forward in life offer for it.

I do not know if any of this helps but putting it in print clarified some things for me.

p.s. alot of the fun of this hobby is in the search for the next one anyway.

life is interesting and good, kent

Last edited by prairewolf; 05-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote