The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
WayneE

'72 Suburban - brake proportioning

Are the brakes on these trucks heavily biased towards the rear? My '72 locks the rears very easily in the wet.

The P/O installed this setup on the truck (sorry for the crappy cell pic):

Front brakes are all new and a quick check of the manual for the proportioning valve/dist block doesn't show any adjustment for front/rear proportioning.

There is adequate vacuum at the booster and the check valve is working properly.

The truck stops well in the dry, but it's a handful in the wet. Just wondering if that's the nature of the beast or if I should be checking for problems.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
zac

Re: '72 Suburban - brake proportioning

I had the same problem with my '72 years ago. A quick stop on wet roads was terrifying. It had what appeared to be the original proportioning valve. I ended up replacing everything in the brake system except the booster. This is back when a replacement valve was a fraction of the cost it is today. I never noticed the problem again, and I drove the truck alot.

In a weird side note, I ended up using the old proportioning valve on a '74 Chevy 3/4 ton van, for reasons that I can't really remember or explain, and I never had a problem, although I'm not sure I drove that truck enough to tell.

I'd be interested to know if others have experienced this problem on wet roads. It might be worth a shot to put in a new replacement valve. Is the one in the pictures for your specific application? It doesn't look like the new one I bought. But it looks cooler.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
WayneE

Thanks for the reply, zac. The previous owner installed the booster and prop valve, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate for my truck or not. I'll have to dig around the paperwork included with my truck when I bought it.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Make sure the rear wheels are adjusted correctly, if the adjuster wheels are no good, it will lock up alot in the rain.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
WayneE

Thanks guys. I hit up a local small repair shop that's run by an older guy. He said the brakes were fine and I was just used to newer cars. My Camaro is a pro-touring car with Baer brakes all around, so it stops more like a modern car (but without the abs).

Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
CheyLadd

I drove a 71 sub for 10 years and never had the problem of back brakes locking; wet, dry or snow. I don't think it is normal. One of the major complaints of subs of most generations is that they don't use enough of the rear brakes and thus they tear through front pads and rotors very fast. I would think if it were normal, all the trucks would constantly be locking since there is way less weight in the back but has the exact same brake system.

No solution for you but that is my experience.
CheyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote