The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
jocko

VIN HELP QUICK I'm ON eBAY!!!

Hi folks - bidding on a 66 1/2 ton shortbed - the guy just sent me a VIN and it starts off with: C1546Z.... Isn't this VIN for a LONGBED?? (i.e. it's C15 not C14 - I thought C14 was what indicated a shortbed...)

It's a short wide with big window and it's clearly a shortbed.

Appreciate any help (asap)... Thanks!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Re: VIN HELP QUICK I'm ON eBAY!!!

Yes, 14 denoted shortbed and 15 denoted longbed. So, either the cab was put on a shortbed frame or the frame was cut down.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
jocko

Thanks Bear - that's what I was afraid if. The seller answered all my questions promptly except the VIN detail - and I got my foot in the door - I could potentially be screwed. He's also saying it's a CA title and he lives in Colorado... I've been down this road before and it was a nightmare. If I Could pull my bid I would. I live in MD and they won't transfer a jumped title like that (i.e. seller doesn't match name/state on the title, etc).
Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Under certain circumstances you can go through a bid withdrawal with eBay. It would seem rule #2 would apply: "The item's description changed significantly after you entered your last bid".

If there is potential fraud involved it would be good to get out early no matter what type of problems it creates. Here's a synopsis of the rules for bid withdrawals:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/quest...tract-bid.html
Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
jocko

Yep, I agree Bear, unfortunately, I'm within 12 hrs of completion of bid, so can't retract the bid. Only he can cancel. This is a pickle. Worst case I end up with a longbed cab on a shortbed frame.... but i don't think it'll happen. We'll see! Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
thunder71

did you get it?
thunder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
jocko

i'm inside 12 hrs but auction not closed yet. i spoke to the guy - he's honest (ok, I THINK he's honest) and he's going to not hold me to buying it (because I have an airtight case - his vehicle description in the TITLE section is: "1966 Chevrolet Short Wide" and the VIN doesn't match that). He would not cancel my bid, which he could have - he was afraid it would cause herd panic - yet still promised he'd tell the winner (if it's not me) that it is probably a cab swap (he did go confirm the frame hasn't been Z'ed). I told him I'd still prefer that he cancel my bid (since it's too late for me to retract it - don't even have an option to do so) but he would not. So I'm living in "trust-ville" right now - if I win the bid, gotta make sure he doesn't try to make a stink and he will re-list. If someone else wins - he should tell them about the VIN and allow them an out and relist it with appropriate info. I do believe he didn't realize there was a discepancy on the VIN - and the truck and title SHOULD still match... Hard to trust on the internet - but I have his home and cell numbers and he's been up front - and he is a major biz guy on ebay, doesn't want bad press. Bottom line - I won't end up with the truck since I won't pay so he won't ship it - but hopefully won't require an ebay "intervention". Most wouldn't care that the VIN didn't match the body style - but for restoration and resale (what I had planned in the case of this one), it matters. We'll see here in a few hrs how it all turns out. I'll be relieved or pissed, one or the other! Too bad - if one just wanted to keep the truck and was ok with the fact that it was a cab swap (to another frame length) then the truck is a steal - I had only bid to 9900 on a very, very nice short wide with a big back window. Cripes....