The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
kenele

The Club or the Brake lock?

I need to get something for my truck until I get an alarm.... I was wondering who used the Club or that brake lock. Which one is a better deterent? Any input is welcomed. Thx
Ken
Old 05-17-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

You can cut through the steering wheel and slide out the club. go for the brake lock. But make sure you got a good support backing it up.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
meathead95
computer illiterate

my cousin had a club on his truck and cought the thieves in action and i swear somehow they got it off and beat him with it. he was in the hospital for 3 weeks.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:42 PM   #4
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

The Club is useless. I had one on my '93 (along w/an alarm w/starter kill) and they still got it. I've never used the brake locks, but I know some people that use them. I'm sure real car thieves can get around them too, though. They are good enough to keep kids from joy riding, but that's about it.... Just my $.02

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:22 PM   #5
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

How about a rabid pitbull chained to the seat??? lol

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:52 AM   #6
cableguy0

the club is a joke they are very easily taken off without cutting the steering wheel or hurting the vehicle in any way. i can have one off in less than 5 seconds. i was a reposession agent for a while i can steal anything with wheels on it very quickly and a club never slowed me down they are just wayyyyyyy tooooo easy to break without hurting the car
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:13 AM   #7
jimfulco

Keep the coil wire in your pocket. Lock the hood down with a cable & padlock.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:34 AM   #8
krazy_texan

get different colored spark plug wire boots and then keep a diagram in your pocket of which one goes on which point of the distributor and just disconnect them when you park it. never tried it, just thought it up
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:28 AM   #9
casey

Quote:
Originally posted by cableguy0
the club is a joke they are very easily taken off without cutting the steering wheel or hurting the vehicle in any way. i can have one off in less than 5 seconds. i was a reposession agent for a while i can steal anything with wheels on it very quickly and a club never slowed me down they are just wayyyyyyy tooooo easy to break without hurting the car
give use some tips, there must be something you couldn't get around when repossing vehicles
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:32 AM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

living near NYC ya hear alot
: a thief either cuts the steering wheel with a hacksaw and slides out the club or he carries a thing of r134 and freezes the lock on the club once he hits it with a hammer and the lock shatters this is also good for the brake lock thing
i would get both and put in a fuel cutoff and maybe take the coil wire with me as well as a spark cutout switch
no matter what ya do even with the alarm it aint gonna stop the thief with the tow truck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
dion
72 Cheyenne

I have both. I know the club won't really help but it's just one more thing they have to do. I use the break club on my gas pedal instead of the break, seems that they could drive it with out the breaks. I also have an alarm with a sarter kill and gas cut off. And, I park with my truck pulled all the way up to the garage door so they can't get the hood open with the wheels turned all the way to one side so it would be a pain to tow.

Paranoid???? Yup!
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:40 PM   #12
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I use a club, an alarm, and a kill switch...and I'm seriously considering adding a second kill switch, somewhere inline with the ignition, so that if they find the first, they'll get it to crank but not much else. Maybe a fuel cutoff switch as well...

I'm quite paranoid as well.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #13
cableguy0

actually casey there is nothing that can stop a car from being taken if someone is prepared enough they will just use a tow truck (dynamic) which allows any car to be towed without even getting out of the truck thats all we used for our repo trucks. if a thief is determined to get the car its gone not much u can do except not make ur vehicle an easy targets or leave valuable things around in plain sight. in my opinion the only thing on the market now that will stop most thieves is the brake lock. and btw u dont need r134a to break a club just a hammer and hit it in the right spot they used to only slow me down 10 maybe 15 seconds at the most. the best way would be to lock it in a garage honestly
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:26 PM   #14
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
here's how I keep mine where I left it.

this and a kill switch.
Attached Images

Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote