The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Need help finding band saw

First off, if this doesn't belong here, sorry mods, please put it in the proper place.

I have always wanted a vertical metal band saw for projects and fab work. Can anyone suggest a good all around model to go with? Obviously bigger and more powerful is better, but I could probably do fine with a nice bench top model. I have also seen some guys swap around the pulleys on wood versions and convert them to a metal cutter. I like the idea of saving money this way, but I would rather find a new metal version that I can afford, lets say no more than $500. Is this possible?

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
dwaite72lnghrn

Re: Need help finding band saw

Here is one to start with. http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-x-...vel-Head/G9742
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
cdowns

i see lots of shops closing on a regular basis and loads of good used equipment for sale on craigslist and in the local pennysaver either sales or auctions
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Sillyoldman

If you want a vertical one why not get a regular bandsaw and keep some wood & metal blades on hand? I don't think you can get a vertical metal cutter for less than $1000. Pay attention to the throat size. I'd get min. 14", more if you can afford to. Bench models have proven useless to me anyway. The thin blade is nearly impossible to allow for a stright cut.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
cdowns

a "regular" bandsaw does not take wood and metal cutting blades// wood saws speed is wayyyy toofast for metal cutting and the guides and rollers wear out in no time when attempting to crossover wood cutting saws to metal
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaite72lnghrn View Post
That's not a vertical saw. It might be adaptable with a table and jig, but I was hoping to get a regular vertical version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i see lots of shops closing on a regular basis and loads of good used equipment for sale on craigslist and in the local pennysaver either sales or auctions
True, and I have been watching but nothing has come up yet but wood ones.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
8mpg

You can convert a wood to metal by either swapping pulleys or you can swap over a motor from a treadmill. They have enough power and are adjustable.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
a "regular" bandsaw does not take wood and metal cutting blades// wood saws speed is wayyyy toofast for metal cutting and the guides and rollers wear out in no time when attempting to crossover wood cutting saws to metal
I've used both types on my saw for years. It's always worked for me. Learn something new everyday.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Finding one that will run both is a compromise at best. You really can't run both at the proper speed for either. Metal cutting saws run much slower than wood cutters. You can "in theory" run a wood blade on a metal saw, but it will not cut as is should. Sure, it's moving, so it will cut, but it will wander in straight cuts and tend to burn during curves. It may sound crazy the "slow" would burn, but it does happen with wood when you don't "clear" the chips out quickly enough.

...and if you run a metal cutting blade at the speed of a wood cutting saw, it burns the teeth right off of it. I have seen articles written about sawing like this though. Essentially you burn the teeth down to nubs and "burn" your way through the cut by friction. This is a fire hazard though if the saw has ever cut wood, of ever will again.

As a machinist turned cabinet maker, I can tell you that wood and metal are very different to cut...and very few tools cut both. Heck wood is so picky that it matters what direction you are cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Finding one that will run both is a compromise at best. You really can't run both at the proper speed for either. Metal cutting saws run much slower than wood cutters. You can "in theory" run a wood blade on a metal saw, but it will not cut as is should. Sure, it's moving, so it will cut, but it will wander in straight cuts and tend to burn during curves. It may sound crazy the "slow" would burn, but it does happen with wood when you don't "clear" the chips out quickly enough.

...and if you run a metal cutting blade at the speed of a wood cutting saw, it burns the teeth right off of it. I have seen articles written about sawing like this though. Essentially you burn the teeth down to nubs and "burn" your way through the cut by friction. This is a fire hazard though if the saw has ever cut wood, of ever will again.

As a machinist turned cabinet maker, I can tell you that wood and metal are very different to cut...and very few tools cut both. Heck wood is so picky that it matters what direction you are cutting.
All good points. While I started this thread because I was curious about NEW metal saws, alot have said to convert wood to metal. I am considering this as well. Your post above says your can't run metal blades at wood speeds and visa-versa. I agree, but what I have seen others do and would consider myself is buy a cheap wood version at a garage sale or pawn shop or something and "re-pully" it so that the speeds are slowed down for a metal blade. I have personally seen two craftsman models converted in this way and they work fine for the home shop. I wouldn't be using this on a commercial scale so I could probably get by with it.

None the less, I would still like to find a decent vertical metal saw at a reasonable price, but maybe they just don't exist.

There is always something like this but I don't have much faith in Northern/Harbor when it comes to tools like this. I think they can be fitted with a horizontal bench.

Last edited by Critter; 05-07-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
8mpg

Im tellin ya, convert using a treadmill motor...it has adjustable speeds so you can make it do both. The wood ones are much cheaper and much easier to find on craigslist.

Here is basic write up:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...dsaw+treadmill

Last edited by 8mpg; 05-07-2010 at 04:01 PM.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote