The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Engine Progress.....couple of questions

Well I started out with this

I stripped the engine bay 2 weeks ago and painted to this

Then I orderd:
Lunati Cam & double roller timing chain
fuel pump
Roller Tip Rockers
Headers
Air Gap Intake
Edelbrock 1411 Carb
Valve Covers
Water Pump
and 900 little odd and end accessories

and got this

Still alot left to do but making progress questions to follow
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
redbaron69

Re: Engine Progress.....couple of questions

looks great nice job
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Questions:

1. I could swear I read before I did my cam and lifter upgrade that there was not really a need to soak the lifters just make sure they are coated with assembly lube and oil real well and make sure you prime the system before start up so that is what I did. I have not fired the engine yet but can't find where I read that either did I imagine that or is that true. Will pull it all apart if I am wrong and soak them

2. Try and explain this. When I pulled the motor apart I made sure it was at TDC. looking at the engine the TDC mark was at 2 oclock. Well upgraded the cam with more duration set it at TDC with intake and valve covers off (so I could see when #1 intake was all the way open) and TDC mark is now basically at 6 oclock is that right or did I screw that up too.

Got a lot to do before I fire it for the first time but I know I need to run it for 20 min on first start-up to break in the cam so trying to make sure I did everything right.

Anybody got any other "make sure" you do before first firing.

Last edited by Quackaddict; 05-10-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Ole Greenie

Well, TDC for cylinder #1 is when both intake and exhaust valves are closed for the #1 cylinder and the piston is at the apex of it's travel upward.

Keep in mind that there are two strokes of piston travel for every detonation. So basically what you are looking for is the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is aligned where the piston is about to begin it's power/firing stroke. This means that the intake valve has just closed...and the spark plug is about to ignite the fuel.
(NOTE: The TDC Mark on the Balancer will rotate around twice for TDC on all 4 stroke motors. So you have to be sure to align TDC for the compression stroke before you time the distributor or you will be 180 degrees out on the distributor.)

Without setting motor at TDC #1 for the compression stroke, it is difficult. If the mark on the balancer is at the 6 o'clock position and the intake valve is open, the engine has been turned backwards from where you started. I can't imagine you turned the engine around 540 degrees and did't know you did it.

Now that I have totally confused you....!
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
New motor install Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667773
Ole Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Nope I gotcha right now I am on the compression stroke with the intake valve opened at it's highest point. I got confused and though that was TDC. So if I read you right I need to go forward until that valve has closed and I will be at TDC right

Last edited by Quackaddict; 05-10-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Greenie View Post
I can't imagine you turned the engine around 540 degrees and did't know you did it.
And before everyone thinks I am a complete moron let me explain. I put the cam in and lined the timing marks straight up. I then put the lifters in and rotated the crank, following the timing order to put the push rods and rockers and and set to zero lash.

After I did that I went to far trying to get the #1 cylinder all the way open, rotated the crank again so the exhaust stroke would be complete and then stopped once the intake valve was all the way open. So I see the error I made i will take the valve cover off and watch to make sure the valve closes and then I should be ready to rock