The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
jocko

66 chev specific body question

good evening folks - 2 quick questions about some rust repair on a 66 C10

1 - Anyone ever repaired the lower part on the front of the hood? Is it removeable, it appears to be a separate panel? I noticed LMC truck sells a replacement panel and I'm wondering how it is attached (i.e. if it's a separate panel, is it a bolt in?)

2 - inner door bottoms - found a nice truck with pretty bad rust in lower inner doors. seller has the patch panels, just wondering how difficult that repair tends to be? Seller is very honest and up front - says it pretty rusted and he has the patch panels. Pictures of outside of door show only minor surface rust, so I think the major repair is limited to the inner/under door panel sections.

been lookin for a fixer-upper and this one qualifies - but other than these rust issues, the truck is real nice and a fair price.

just wondering if anyone has any experience in these areas. I guess if the rust is absolutely HORRIBLE, I could potentially replace the whole door shell, but doesn't seem that will be required.

Thanks folks - have a good night.
jocko
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: 66 chev specific body question

the lower piece of the hood is spot welded together.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
jocko

oh yeah - one more question - I noticed LMC truck lists motor mounts as common for L6 and V8 from 64-66. Is a V8 swap in to an L6 truck really that simple!? or are other pounts required in the front (I believe new rear mounts are required) but the front ones look common between L6 and V8 - and that seems odd to me, just wondering if any of you might know! I'm sure someone does, this website is great. Thanks again,
jocko
Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
jocko

copy welded, thanks very much. Sounds like maybe the easiest way would be to just cut a patch from the LMC part and replace only the part that's bad then (rather than the whole lower front panel). Either way, that's what I needed to know - thanks!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
motiveauto

Inner doors are not too bad if you can get away without having to peel the outer door skin back, otherwise you need to grind away where its hemmed over, remove the old rusty section, install the new inner lower panel and then deal with welding the seem shut again.
Softail Deluxe
Softail Chopper
motiveauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
jocko

well that doesn't sound like much fun... (but thank's, that is what I was wondering - if I could potentially have to peel the skin).
Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

We repaired a couple of places on mine. Either welded in new metal and brazed a couple of places as well.
Attached Images

DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
oldblu65

Jocko , the mounts for the 6 cylinder and V8 are the same assuming the 6 cylinder is NOT a 292 ! The 292 uses a different mount on one side . I replaced the 230 in my ' 65 with a 283 . The difference being the 6 cylinder has an adapter that connects the motor mounts to the 6 cylinder block. Otherwise , I used the original flywheel , clutch , starter , bell housing , z-bar , and wiring harness . You will have to get a V8 Z-bar pivot ball as the original 6 cylinder one is made in such a way that it can't be used . You can get one from a junkyard or order one from a vendor ( i.e. - LMC trucks ) . They aren't expensive and I replaced all the small items that are used with the Z-bar hookup . It really is an easy swap ! Check the LMC website ( www.lmctrucks.com ) and look at the appropriate diagram ( 1960-66 , page # 74 ) and you'll see all the items I mentioned . If I can help any farther , let me know . Good luck !

Last edited by oldblu65; 05-12-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: sPeLin/
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote