The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
'70GMCStep

Front End Vibrating

Got a question for you all.

Just installed a new front spring on the '65. (I should have put new springs on the front when I redid the front with new control arms, discs etc). I had it aligned but after it was aligned I stepped on it, and then around 50, it started in. I have had this guy align my stuff many times, and he does great work.

The tire is fine, no bent wheel or weights out of place. Am I looking at new ball joints? These new control arms from CCP were put on last summer, and the truck only has about 300 miles after the front end rebuild I did. The ball joints came installed in the kit.

What do you all think I should do? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks,
'GMCStep
'70GMCStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Front End Vibrating

Did you replace your idler arm when you did everything over? A worn idler arm allows the right wheel to wobble around (normally at speed) while the left side tracks straight, being connected by the pitman arm directly to the steering box.

It would also be worth taking it back to the shop for a recheck. He may have done it many times, but humans do make mistakes and perhaps an adjusting nut was left loose, or something else may be wrong that he might not have been looking for.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
'70GMCStep

Ah...I didn't do the idler arm when I redid the front end. I bet that's it. My buddy over at the alignment shop has my truck and is going to drive it, but that makes good sense.

While I'm at it, is there anything else that I should be looking for that could be replaced with the idler arm while I'm on this? (steering is next, but can't do it right now)

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

'GMCStep
Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If they are original, I'd also have him check the tie rod ends to make sure they don't have any excessive play. A little bit at the idler arm, and a little bit more at each tie rod end can add up to a problem. You might also check the wheel bearings to make sure they are properly tightened, and the races were fully seated. A problem here should be very obvious on inspection. A worn steering box doesn't usually result in vibration, it's more likely to cause sloppy or difficult steering. Front end vibrations are generally caused by the rotational forces (wheels/tires out of balance) or they tires are either not properly toed in, or don't remain properly toed in, resulting from worn parts.

Once in a while what seems to be a front end vibration can also turn out to be a bad u-joint in the driveline.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
'70GMCStep

The only two guys that I trust to do what I can't both think that it is nothing in my components. After both driving the truck, both know that at around 50 mph it starts to violent vibrate. Nobody suspects the idler arm or any other thing I have set up as a problem after looking at it all.

What the alignment guy and another shop I trust that I have asked say now is that it must be the tire/wheels. I'm going to limp it over to the third shop and see if it is just that simple of a problem. (surely not) It did sit in the garage for a while until I had a Saturday to tear into it. We'll see. The only other thing I haven't done is check the wheel bearing and race. Nobody down here is saying "ball joint", but I have two new spare ones on the shelf in the garage.

Am I on the right track? I feel like I'm going
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Russ65C10

Given how long the truck has set and the quaility/age of the tires you might have a tire that is seperating or has a flat spot due to how long its sat around...
Russ65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
'70GMCStep

Third shop now is reporting they don't know either. All say front end is great with new parts. Tires are going to get some kind of stress/balance test. I think it just helps typing this out for my stress level.

'70GMCStep
Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
TR65

70Step,

If you have not done it swap front wheels with rear and see if anything changes. As Russ says, could be a bad tire.

Another thing you can do is check the runout of the tires by spinning and using a screw driver blade or other tool as a guide to see if there is a bulge in the tread, indicating separation.

Good luck,

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
Slow Build

What kind of vibration (Is it on one side only, both sides at same time or does it oscillate side to side)? Do you run a sway bar? I'm guessing you have new shocks. Just trying to get more info.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm guessing a bad tire also. I've had that happen a couple times.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
'70GMCStep

Mystery solved. Wheel got bent just enough to mess it up.But, I have to be honest, it turned out to be my stupidity. (I drove the truck after I put in the new spring in, drove it through the field to the road without having it aligned first, and embarrassingly without finishing the lugs after I put the truck back down. Wife can tell you I work a lot more safe than this usually

I feel like a moron, new spring installed, Thanks for all of the advice guys. Hopefully I am not run off of the board with a stupidity award.

'70GMCStep
Old 05-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I imagine every member here has at least one of these stories. Glad you got it figured out before something worse happened.