The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Sniper X

Anyone have those stock manifold size headers?

You kow the ones that directly replace the stock exhaust manifolds? How well do they work as opposed to a set of iron stockers?

Last edited by Sniper X; 05-13-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: nyone have those stock manifold size headers?

Are you talking about these? If so, I have a pair but have not mounted them. The outlet on them is huge, so they look like they would outperform stock cast iron manifolds. They are also lighter.

Slonaker
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Sniper X

NO, they are a real header, look a little like block huggers but terminate in the same place and type connection as a stock manifold.

kinda like these but a stock collector.

Last edited by Sniper X; 05-13-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

I have the CARB legal edelbrock ones. They suck a$$. Darn near impossible for plug changes and two of the primaries completely ruin plug wires with out the shields they give you for the plug wires. I would stick with stock manifolds or full length headers.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Dudley50

I believe I have the type of headers you are talking about. They run along the block and hook into the exhaust just like the ram exhaust manifolds on my '64 283. I have had to replace the gaskets once, but that seems pretty normal with headers. You will burn up plug wires on one cylinder on each side, (2nd from the front/dr, 2nd from the back/pass) I wrapped them with 2 wraps of tin foil from the kitchen, no more wire burning. As far as performance, they were on the truck when I got it, seems to have some punch. Whoever did them didn't re-jet the carb. (Stock 2bbl/305 circa '77 from cast #'s) After a timing adjustment and a carb re-build, I get approx 13-15 mpg, and have decent power...I wouldn't put them on this motor, but since they're here, I'm not gonna change them. (Long winded way of saying, they ain't nothin' special...lol)
Attached Images

Last edited by Dudley50; 05-13-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Dudley50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Sniper X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley50 View Post
I believe I have the type of headers you are talking about. They run along the block and hook into the exhaust just like the ram exhaust manifolds on my '64 283. I have had to replace the gaskets once, but that seems pretty normal with headers. You will burn up plug wires on one cylinder on each side, (2nd from the front/dr, 2nd from the back/pass) I wrapped them with 2 wraps of tin foil from the kitchen, no more wire burning. As far as performance, they were on the truck when I got it, seems to have some punch. Whoever did them didn't re-jet the carb. (Stock 2bbl/305 circa '77 from cast #'s) After a timing adjustment and a carb re-build, I get approx 13-15 mpg, and have decent power...I wouldn't put them on this motor, but since they're here, I'm not gonna change them. (Long winded way of saying, they ain't nothin' special...lol)
Well yes if I had rams horn ones to beguin with. Those I pictured are a lot like the ones but they have a stock collector that mates directly to the stock exhaust. Here's why I posted this up. I have a good dual exhaust system but with stock manifolds. I would like to change them out because I think one is cracked because it is leaking and has new gaskets on it since I got the truck. I see those headers cost about $125.00 and that would be totally workth it since I am just looking for a stock replacement that isn't cast iron. The weight savings would be nice too as sometime this summer my Edelbrock cam, alu intake and maybe even a set of aluminum Edlebrock heads are going on.