The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
blazer2007

putting new rotor on ?

I have to change fr. rotors on my 80 2 wheel truck 1/2 ton but couldn,t find anything about tightening spindle nut except trailer axles.Grease all new bearings slap grease on spindle and anywhere else I guess,but to preload bearings all I found was tighten by hand then turn with a wrench until snug,then back off the nut and tighten by hand again and turn till next cottor pin hole,does this sound right,thanks,been a long time since I,ve done this
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
72timemachine

Re: putting new rotor on ?

the advice you got is correct but in the real world they are telling you to seat the bearings in the grease by all the tightening and loosing ect. After you do all of that you basically want to grab the edges of the rotor at 9 and 3 o'clock and push/pull them as if you were trying to pull it off the spindle, if you feel any side to side slop, turn the castle nut to the next cotter pin whole and give the rotor a spin or two. The rotor must be able to spin free yet have no side to side slop in it as you do not want the preload set too tight or you may burn up your bearings.

When you put your wheel back on (wheel is off the ground) try to rock it a 9 and 3 again and you should detect a tiny bit of side to side slop but that is normal as the wheel magnifies what you cannot feel by just grabbing only the rotor.

Good luck.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote