The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Blue72slab

Which fan shroud?

I am finally getting my 72 on the road again and need a fan shroud that fits. It is a factory a/c truck that originally had a 400 (long gone). When I got it it had a 350, the a/c has been removed but had BB 72 motor mounts. I changed to SB motor mounts which slid the motor forward a bit and must have dropped it because the fan now hits the bottom of the shroud. I got a set of correct pulleys and brackets and bought a short water pump. It also has power steering. Will any SB shroud fit correctly or do I need to get an a/c version? I plan on putting an aftermarket a/c system in when the time comes (unless that is a bad idea). They just seem to work well but are a bit pricey so have to save up some coin. Thanks for the help.
Blue72slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

Re: Which fan shroud?

I have a good shroud from a 72 with sb and ac if you want to swap for the bb if its not cracked?
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Blue72slab

Thanks for the offer but I am going to hang on to my big block stuff in case I want to go that way some day. If you are interested in selling your shroud let me know.
1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic
Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue72slab View Post
Thanks for the offer but I am going to hang on to my big block stuff in case I want to go that way some day. If you are interested in selling your shroud let me know.

I have a stock 72 small block fan shroud that I had to ditch when I went to the serpentine/electric fan setup. If you need it I will sell it cheap, just make me an offer.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
burb71

Can someone please show & tell me the differance in small block fan shrouds,
with and without a/c?
Also did they use the same small block a/c shroud from 67-72 ?
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
junkyardjohn

BLUE72SLAB... JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE. I LIKE TO USE BB 72 FRAME TOWERS WITH A SBC AS IT ALLOWS ME TO USE THE NEWER STYLE CLAM SHELL TYPE MOTOR MOUNTS. (MUCH STRONGER & EASIER TO LINE UP WHEN INSTALLING A MOTOR). DO YOU HAVE A BB FAN BLADE ON YOUR SB? I ASK THIS BECAUSE A SB FAN IS ABOUT AN INCH SMALLER IN DIA. THAN A BB FAN BLADE. SO IF YOU EITHER PUT THE 72 BB TOWERS BACK IN OR SWITCH TO A SMALLER FAN BLADE, IT'LL PROBABLY CURE YOUR PROBLEM. THE JUNKYARDS ARE FULL OF SMALL BLOCK FAN BLADES FROM ANY G.M. 8 CYLINDER. JUST TAKE YOUR TAPE MEASURE WITH YOU, & YOU CAN GET ONE CHEAP. I LIKE CLUTCH FANS MYSELF. JUST BE SURE NOT TO USE AN AFTERMARKET FLEX FAN (ASK ME WHY I KNOW) AS THE BLADES ARE SUBJECT TO SNAPPING OFF & BECOMMING A PROJECTILE. NICE LOOKING TRUCK BY THE WAY. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Blue72slab

John, thanks. I think I am going to put the BB towers back on so I can use the shroud, fan, shift linkage, etc. that I have. I will just need to switch my p/s pump bracket to one that is not attached to the motor mount.
1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic