The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Cibie headlights

Hey Guys
I am looking to find some headlights for my 72. Years ago I had a set in a 78 Silverado that some really cool headlights that I really liked. They were made by Cibie, they had like H4 bulbs that clipped inside like all the modern ones do now days. I have looked and have not had any luck finding them yet. I am wanting to see if anyone here can help me find some.
Thanks
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
StingRay

Re: Cibie headlights

The 7" round are like hens teeth. I have some of the 5" for my GMC. I have some vintage driving lights as well. Hella and Bosch still sell quality products. Bosch typically aren't as pretty as the Cibie as I understand it Cibie used actal lead crystal for the lenses. They were pretty thin and more prone to breakage. The Bosch stuff is more robust but often are a flat lens and don't look as nice. I am also the proud owner of a vintage Cibie headlight aiming machine. I used to work for a Cibie dealer when I was a kid and some years later when they were scrapping it I spotted it and they gave it to me.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I'm not familiar with Bosch, other than their excellent reputation. Hella makes a great headlamp for the money, and they're easy to find. I agree that Cibie makes some of the best (I own a pair of 7" round Cibies) and compared to Hella, the high beam pattern has a bit less vertical light (a good thing).

But it is hard to find Cibies, and they are more expensive. The only vendor I know of is Daniel Stern Lighting. He's great to work with and knows more about lighting than just about anyone. Here's his page with the Cibies:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I ran Cibie Bobis (bobby) in my`71 Blazer back in the`80s.I don`t remember where I ound them.They gave excellent I do remember that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
dougo

I'll be interested in knowing what you go with... I was just starting to research this the other night. I make a few road trips on back roads each year... and stock lighting is poor on my 72 - I'd go with a light bar, but I want to maintain a clean look on my burb. I was thinking of a hand held power lamp (but pain to hold, they get hot, etc.) So, now wondering what options I have to upgrade my bulbs to light up country roads... and yet - not too bright for city driving.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Since posting above, I did a little research -- it's been a few years or so since I shopped for Cibies. I found a couple more outlets but they were more expensive than Daniel Stern. Then I found a site that I had looked for unsuccessfully a while back http://www.seriousauto.com/. No info about Cibies on the site, but there is a phone number. This is actually where I bought my Cibies years ago, at a good price, so it might be worth checking out.

If you haven't already installed headlamp relays, please consider doing so. This will assure full voltage to your lamps (stock wiring is too restrictive). Stock headlamps will work better with relays, and they are virtually a necessity with aftermarket upgrade headlamps.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 05-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Thanks for the input guys, I did a google on Cibie the other day and saw the daniel stern lighting webpage, but was surprised that he was the only guy out there. Thanks Stocker, I can look there and get the number. I will for sure use a relay for the lights and run some bigger wire out to the headlights. dougo, light bar on the burb=yuck, unless you keep it on a deer lease. You will fall in love with Cibie if you ever run them
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
dougo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckluver View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I did a google on Cibie the other day and saw the daniel stern lighting webpage, but was surprised that he was the only guy out there. Thanks Stocker, I can look there and get the number. I will for sure use a relay for the lights and run some bigger wire out to the headlights. dougo, light bar on the burb=yuck, unless you keep it on a deer lease. You will fall in love with Cibie if you ever run them
LOL... I hear you on the light bar -it's not the look I'm going for. I want to keep a clean, stock look, up front. Just want to make sure I don't end up with a deer in my front grill - so the more light the better. I'm following this tag... and thiking I will also further research the Cibie and eventually go this route (with relay, bigger wires).