The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Horn button assembly, HELP

I am reasembling my truck after paint and the horn button is driving me nuts, I am pretty sure I'm not missing any parts but I can't get it to work. I have the plastic bushing with the three tabs that the screws go through, the thin concave steel spring washer (for lack of knowing it's real name) and the steel piece that the plastic decorative horn button snaps into.
I have tried every possible configuration to assemble this thing and nothing works, it goes together but the button will not depress when pushed. I looked at the exploded drawing in my LMC catalog, I have all the parts they show in the drawing, the way it's shown in there definately does not work.
Do any of you have experiance with this simple yet frustrating part? I can't help but think I am looking past something. It's has to be a matter so simple that I am just not seeing it! If anyone has an idea please share it with me!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
71 super

Re: Horn button assembly, HELP

The flat spring washer goes in with dome up, the button does not depress so much as it makes the circuit complete
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The LMC catalog is wrong.

Be sure to note how the parts come out, especially the flat metal disk. It is not flat, it has a slight dish to it. Also, the metal cup has a notch in it that matches a tab on the rubber part of the horn button, so it has to be installed in a certain position or the horn button will be off center.

The large plastic piece with the spring loaded contact goes under the steering wheel and the contact tower sticks up through a hole in the steering wheel hub. The disk is the first piece to go inside the steering wheel, then the metal cup, then the plastic retainer with the three screws. If you hold the metal cup in your hand and put the retainer down inside it you will see that the bosses on the plastic retainer fit snug inside the holes in the cup. Turn that assembly upside down and put the metal disk on it and you will see that the holes in the disk just fit over the bosses on the retainer also. That is the way it has to go together. It can be tough getting it all lined up down inside the steering wheel and keeping the metal disk in place. If the disk gets out of place and gets pinched between the steering wheel hub and the retainer, either the horn won't honk or it will honk all the time.

This is one of those procedures that is hard to put into words but fairly easy to do so I hope you can follow my rambling....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Not sure if this will help, but its the only pic I could find.

The pic is of a column I bough here and put in the truck with an 88 or so steering wheel. I was somewhat surprised that the horn worked after undoing the rig job that some PO did.
Attached Images

72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
hdandd

Does anybody have step by step pictures?
Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

No pictures but let me take a shot at it.
Take the Horn button retainer in one hand, and set the bushing into it (pushing it into the holes of the retainer.)
Now take a spot of red grease and place a little on the concave spring washer and place it under the retainer, (the cup should be facing up against the bottom of the retainer) aligning it so the holes in the spring washer go over the 3 tab bushing. (The red grease will hold the spring cup to the bottom of the retainer.)
Place all thre screws into the bushing.
Carefully set the entire assembly into the steering wheel being sure that the screws are lined up with the screw holes in the steering wheel.
Tighten the screws and set the horn button into the retainer. Done deal!!

I think that the problem you are having is the spring washer is slipping off of the bushing and when you tighten the screws you flatten it. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys

Last edited by Classic Heartbeat; 05-15-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
AirSpeed

Thanks for all the responses, I am now sure I have assembled all the components in the correct order and procedure, unfotunately it still does not move, it seems as though it is mounted solid to the steering wheel and has no action as it should. I made sure the spring washer lines up with the bushings on the plastic retainer so I don't think that is my ptoblem. I walked away from it last night before I became frustrated, maybe today it will just fall into place! As long as I know I am placing the parts in the correct order I will be able to figure it out. Thanks for all the help!
Aaron
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote