The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

Parking Brake Does Not Fully Return

When I depress my parking brake to set it, then release it with the lever, the brake pedal does not return to its fully disengaged (up) position. I have to use the toe of my left shoe to pull it up all the way. The brake warning light also stays on until I manually lift it all the way with my foot. Is there a fix for this?
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
dan76

Re: Parking Brake Does Not Fully Return

I may have missed the year/model/make of your truck. Each major year grouping of GM pickups seem to have a slightly different set up.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

1983 Chevy C20.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
dan76

Lube the ratcheting assembly under the dash. Apply a spray lube only where you see moving parts. Check the parking brake cable beneath the truck for rust/dirt/wear and ensure the hangers are not worn. Usually I'll apply a light coating of grease to each fitting to ensure the cable runs smoothly. But most likely the first solution will solve the problem.

Last edited by dan76; 05-15-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: clarity
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

I lubed the parking brake assembly under the dash. This appears not to be the problem. The brake pedal moves freely. When the brake lever is pulled, the brake pedal still has about 1 - 1.5" of travel left. When I lift the pedal the rest of the way manually, the brake cable (where it connects to the brake pedal assembly) does not move. Does this mean I need to take up slack in the brake cable itself?

Last edited by tucsonjwt; 05-15-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

So, I am under the truck, rear wheels off the ground, parking break pedal depressed 4 clicks of the ratchet ready to adjust the parking brake. My Haynes manual says: "Loosen the locknut on the cable equalizer and then tighten the adjuster nut until a slight drag is felt when the rear wheels are turned." Problem: I see no locknut - turning the adjustment nut just caused the whole cable to turn. I see no locknut in the LMC catalog graphic for the parking brake assembly. Am I supposed to squeeze the C shaped equalizer with vise grips to stop the cable from turning when turning the adjustment nut? I don't get it. Thanks.