The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Anyone with a bare frame take some measurements for me please?

Working on getting my 71 cab aligned well on my 86 frame. If anyone could take some measurements for me that would be great! I need to know the distance from a motor mount location of choice to the front cab mount centerline, then the distance from front cab centerline to core support centerline mounting holes please. I thought it would all line up right with the 86 front cab mounts, but they're back about 2.5" or so and there's a huge gap between my firewall and the back of the engine, the shifter nearly hits the dash, and it doesn't look right...

I haven't thought to align the cab by centering the wheels in the fender, maybe i"ll just try that.

Thanks!
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Re: Anyone with a bare frame take some measurements for me please?

bump.

All the frame spec measurements that I've found searching do not include the body mounts. They have points of height and length and width to measure but not for the body.

I think I have the truck close to where it should be but it's always worth a double check.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
mdwilf

I've put a 72 on a 77 4 x 4 frame (follow the link in my signature for pics) & what you'll need to do is assemble the cab & front clip, then get your tires centered (or close) in the front wheel wells, then let everything fall out from there. If you try to judge it just by the cab you'll have problems. You'll end up needing to trim the front frame horns & you'll have a larger than normal gap between the cab & bed. The newer frames are longer.

The one I did was a stick, & everything worked out, plenty of clearance until the 33" tires went on, they rubbed just a tad on tight turns. We slid another leaf in the front springs & that lifted it just enough.

If you need any more help, PM me
Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Thank you for the tips and I'll be sure to pm you if I need more help with this.

I'll be using a wooden bed that I built a few years ago, so that's not much of an issue. I was using the lenth of the fenders in reference to the axle centerline last night and got the cab pretty close to where it should be.

Here's a link to my build for more details of what I'm doing...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=400022