The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
zac

14ff spindle replacement?

Finally got the rear axle swapped into my '79 K20, went to pull the drums/hubs/bearings for inspection, found spindle damage on the driver's side. This is the first time I've worked on a full-floater, I'm wondering if the spindles come off like they do on the front, or if they are integral with the housing. If so, I'm stuck with the repair someone attempted, or swapping the gear set from this one into the housing I just took out--dont' care for either of those options. The fact that the keyway is at the 4 o'clock position rather than 12 makes me hope that it has been off at sometime in the past.
Attached Images

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
zac

Re: 14ff spindle replacement?

Never mind. I see that is integral. What you see in the picture is actually the outer portion is welded on. That's why it has all the grinding done on it and the heat discoloration. Obviously the outer bearing bought the farm and somebody repaired the spindle. Not really a bad repair, but I doubt I can live with it.

D'oh!
zac is offline   Reply With Quote