The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
garage C20

it's amazing what some timing can do ... ignition timing that is.

i was up late one night checking out some videos on dyno runs on YOUTUBE and came up on one guy who was showing how his shop sets the ignition timing and setting the the idle on a edelbrock carb on a Chevy (link posted below). i thought i had mine set just fine but i was wrong. i normally just set the initial timing at idle with the vacuum disconnected. i set it at 12 deg and lock it down. i never thought to check the timing at 3000-3500 rpm. well... i did that this morning and was it WAY off. i was only getting around 20- 22 deg of total timing.. to say that this motor was a dog is an understatement. i thought the motor was tired and was in need of a rebuild. so, i advanced the total timing to 33 deg advanced (vacuum disconnected). now i can run down the freeway with more than enough power and very little throttle. i can spin my 33's at the stoplight and even bark them in second. (kind of hard with my hard to shift man tranny). i connected the vacuum to the ported vacuum side of the carb and this truck has never run better. i hope this little tip can help someone else.

'79 C20. Fabtech 3in lift springs in front flipped upper balljoints with spacers (rancho shocks), single 3 in. exhaust (Flowmaster) Edlebrock 1406 carb (600cfm), Edlebrock eps performer manfold, MSD 6a ignition, Empi euro headlight conversion w/Hella 90w/130w H4 bulbs, Hella 500's w/HIDs (all on relays), 20 wheels wrapped in 33in tires.
soon: , 2in blocks and air bags in the rear, headers, dual exhaust, cam/lifters.
garage C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Stepsideride

Re: it's amazing what some timing can do ... ignition timing that is.

wow I need to get a balancer like that set my timing that way.
Stepsideride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
garage C20

if you look one the summit catalog you can pick up a balancer cover. that is what i did. it has etched timing marks on it and is only around $35... all i had to do was remove the lower pulley and slip it over the stock 8 inch balancer.
'79 C20. Fabtech 3in lift springs in front flipped upper balljoints with spacers (rancho shocks), single 3 in. exhaust (Flowmaster) Edlebrock 1406 carb (600cfm), Edlebrock eps performer manfold, MSD 6a ignition, Empi euro headlight conversion w/Hella 90w/130w H4 bulbs, Hella 500's w/HIDs (all on relays), 20 wheels wrapped in 33in tires.
soon: , 2in blocks and air bags in the rear, headers, dual exhaust, cam/lifters.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
GMC Guy

did you hook your vacuum advance up to ported or full manifold? i have mine hooked up to full manifold, and running about 12* initial timing, but i should check it at 3000-3500 prm as well.
i'm always looking for a little bit more....
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
garage C20

i hooked it to the ported side... i think the distributor doesn't give me enough advance so i may have to modify it. that is why i wasn't getting enough advance at 3000 rpm. i forget what the initial advance is but it was a bunch more than the 12 deg i normally set it at. so i thought it was best to hook it to the ported vacuum port.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
turner15

this cold be my problem
turner15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

If you are running an HEI, beware that the centrifugal advance has no positive stop, so there's not a hard limit on the advance. The advance may appear max out at 3000-3500, but chinese reproductions or worn out HEI's will usually slowly creep in an extra 3-4 degrees at around 4000-4500. You need to consider this as part of your total timing. Rev it up to check if you have the advance creep issue or not.

If you run an engine driven mechanical fan I would suggest removing it for this. Sounds over cautious but I've seen pictures of fan blades through hoods. Once you know how much advance your distributor adds, you can simply set it by the initial timing so you only have to do this once.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
garage C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
If you are running an HEI, beware that the centrifugal advance has no positive stop, so there's not a hard limit on the advance. The advance may appear max out at 3000-3500, but chinese reproductions or worn out HEI's will usually slowly creep in an extra 3-4 degrees at around 4000-4500. You need to consider this as part of your total timing. Rev it up to check if you have the advance creep issue or not.

If you run an engine driven mechanical fan I would suggest removing it for this. Sounds over cautious but I've seen pictures of fan blades through hoods. Once you know how much advance your distributor adds, you can simply set it by the initial timing so you only have to do this once.
good points..... i am running a stock HEI but with a proform "tune up kit" with different weights, springs and module. i will check for the advance creep. i am running a engine driven fan on a HD fan clutch. but i will pull it before checking the timing at those speeds. my buddy was nearly killed when a flexfan cam apart while he was tuning his motor. it hit him right on the jaw. a glancing blow and embedded itself in the hood of his truck. 3 day in the ER and major surgery to repair his face. another inch or two and he would have been killed for sure. safety first.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Yup they brake,in my 78 sub goin to work i pulled hard off a light heard a big bang..running rough.....thought engine blown/gone...,WHAT can't stop no brakes........able to pull ebrake abit to coast to a stop.....pop hood, brake fluid all over??...my new lines were leaking?had to leave it till next day......closer look one of the fans four blades broke off and went threw both master lines at/to the portioning valve......someone told me later this was a recall i duno
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
qu1cks1lver56

I always set timing at 3000-3500rpms, whether its got any advance or if its a locked out race distributor, just the way I was taught, I thought everybody did it lol.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
billnorman

Checking the timing at higher RPM is the right way unless you have a distributor machine. European cars have been doing this for decades. Also, on flex fans, they will kill you. I lost a friend when his disintegrated and almost decapitated him when he revved a motor up. Most motors are happy at 32-36 degrees total. With knock sensors, newer motors run as much as they can for maximum efficiency and power. Timing and compression are vital keys to power and economy.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #12
asphaltburner

I'm shocked!
Todd.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
Stepsideride

Im runnin an Electric fan..learned my lesson a few years back...water pump nose broke at 3 grand on the Interstate at my exit no less...fan put a nice hole in my hood too.
Stepsideride is offline   Reply With Quote