The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
The_BullDog

Question need some help guys

hey guys im stuck in iraq so i can't get to the truck to get it looked at. here is a picture of the engine bay. i want to get the stuff for the A/C to work. all the pics i see of original A/C the compresser is where my alternator is. its a 77 cheyenne. the dash has A/C vents and it has the box but i don't know what i need. LMC diagram looks like korean to me. if anyone has stock A/C in a 77 can i see some pics? and if you know anything about A/C in general that would be a big help. thanks.
Attached Images

The_BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: need some help guys

Just a short list, but you will need to relocate the alternator to the drivers side, and add a compressor (and brackets), the lines, and a dryer. Since it has been open (looks like quite a while) you will want to get the system cleaned and vaccumed before you get too involved in it.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
The_BullDog

how hard is it to relocate the alternator?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

It is just brackets. If you can find a truck with all of the brackets intact at the pick a part, you will be set. You could probably find the lines that way, too. I would buy a new dryer, and probably a new compressor, too.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
C10Silverado79

here are some pics of my 79. My compressor is on the drivers side. I don't think you need to relocate the alternator but I'm no expert.

C10Silverado79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Looks like you are right. My '79 has an LT1 swapped in it, but the compressor is on the right side. I thought that's where I remembered it on the stock trucks. Anyhow, disregard the swapping the alternator to the other side part.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
The_BullDog

thanks guys. lmc has a upgrade compresser for like 450 over the 280 for a reg one. ever heard of anything like this? would it be better to get the upgrade just for the simple fact i have to get on eanyways.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Personally, I would buy one locally when you get back from Napa. You can probably get the lines and dryer there too, and it will probably be cheaper. Looks like you may need the low pressure switch also, looking at C10Silverado79's pictures. It mounts directly to the dryer.

Last edited by Jonboy; 05-20-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
C10Silverado79

I've been following the A/C threads cause mine is not operational. ( I know for sure the compressor clutch is bad - had to cut the belt one night cause it went south) You will probably want/need to upgrade to the newer refrigerant. From what I understand, the original R-12 is hard to get and VERY EXPENSIVE. The newer refrigerant requires some stock part replacement with newer types plus the parts you can reuse will need cleaned out. HERE is a link that should get you started. I have it saved for when I get to working on the A/C.
C10Silverado79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
The_BullDog

thanks C10. that was alot of info. he did a great write up. thanks for the help!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Alias137

First off, thanks for your service. It is appreciated by all Americans. Second, you should buy an axial compressor. They take up way way way less room than the older radial style (like in your pic). If you do decide to stick with the one you've got, you are gonna have to change the refrigerant (as someone had earlier said). The refrigerant in all cars and light trucks until 1994/1995 (I believe) was r-12. I think you can still get it in Mexico, but who wants to go there to get it? Anyhoo, you can find it locally, but it was 35.00/lb. last time I checked. So that being said, I would use r-134a. Cheap and easy. But be sure you change the oil in your r-12 compressor. R-134a uses an alkylbenzine oil, and r-12 uses a mineral oil. They don't play well with eachother. Also, you will need to get your system under a deep vacuum (again as someone had said earlier). If possible, grab a digital vacuum gauge, and set it to the "micron" scale. If your system is below 300 microns (after a few hours), you can be sure it is tightly sealed. Whether or not you change your compressor, you will still have to do the vacuum thing, change out your metering device (capilarry tube) and your filter drier.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
OleBlue79

The first thing you will need are some AC compressor brackets. You can probaly scrounge around the bone yards and find them. Then you need a compressor. I just bought a remanned A-6 like C10Siverado79's for $120.00. The new ones are $400. with the same warranty. You need a new dryer, pressure switch, hoses and 134a. I did mine all from O'Reillys for under $400.00. That included the A-6 compressor, new hoses for the compressor, new dryer, new pressure switch, o-rings, orifice tube, compressor oil and 134a regrigerant. The only piece I could not buy was the "liquid line" that goes from the condensor and runs over the radiator. See C10Siverado79 photo. I had to have one made up at a local automotive AC shop. It was $70.00. I even had a Chevy dealer check his national parts list. Not one in USA or Canada! weird. None of the autoparts stores around here carried one either!
I would also flush out the condensor and evaporator before you put it all together. The pros recommend that you blow it out with nitrogen to get all of the flush out. I used my air compressor and it seems OK.
My compressor used 10 oz of esther oil. Some models call PAG oil, so you'll have to check with someone. Like the other guys in here said, after you get it all buttoned up you'll need to pull a good vacuum on it for two reasons. One to check for leaks, two to remove all of the moisture in your system. Install your dryer last to prevent as much moisture as possible.
You can pull a vacuum yourself or bring it to a shop and they can pull a vacuum for you. Autozone will loan you the vacuum pump and a set of gauges for around a $350.00 deposit but you get your money back when you return it.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but this should at least get you pointed in the right direction. And last, my family and I will sleep good tonight knowing there are guys like you standing watch for our freedom. A very heartfelt Thank You.
OleBlue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

looks like the whole a/c system is almost missing, you might have to stat by checking what is there is good, if not you can always buy a vintage air kit that mounts under the dash and get rid of that huge box on your firewall if your going for a custom truck look, if your going for stock, just buy stuff locally when you get home its easier to deal with the warranty and make sure everything is cleaned out really well before you get some dirt or something so it can mess up a brand new compressor pretty easily
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote