The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Thealien

A little more progress.

Should be installing everything soon!! Before paint

Engine is all painted.

The crossmember is made. The one I had done by Kert at DIY4X4 was 1 3/4 diameter and 1/8 wall. The one we built is 1 1/2 Chrome moly and 1/4 wall. Since I was decreasing the diameter to gain differential clearance I wanted to increase the wall thickness.

Here it is compared to the template I made up. It is pretty damn close!! Because of the angle of the picture it doen't look as close.

Here is another view with the template compared with the one I had made before. There is so little clearance it would be hard to have someone make one up without seeing the setup in person.

Here is the waterpump with the temp sender drilled and tapped into it

Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
70stroker

Re: A little more progress.

That motor looks awesome. let us know how the install goes.
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Thealien

I would if I could ever get my transfer case back *&^%%$%&$#^%*$&^!!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Thealien

A little more done today. Finally got the transfer case and installed it, fun by yourself. It was even more fun when I realized with my truck on jackstands none of my jacks would lift the transfer case high enough. Had to take the front off jackstands and even then wrestling with an NP205 by yourself is not fun. I would have got the transmission installed today also except I ran into another issue with an advance adapters part *&^%^$!! The shifter bolt hole on my stock adapter is 3/8-16 and on the AA one it is 1/2-13. The shifter bolt is a special shoulder bolt so I had to stop. Now I have to get a sleeve machined to continue *&&^%$R%^. If it was mentioned anywhere on their website, instructions, or by their techs I would have made it already. Funny thing is I trail fit every other bolt to make sure I had everything.

Well here are some pics for you picture fiends!! I'm one too!!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Hart_Rod

Looks great! Why did you have to tap the waterpump for the temp sender instead of using the one in the head?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Looks great! Why did you have to tap the waterpump for the temp sender instead of using the one in the head?
The temp sensor for my gauge is 1/2 NPT which is pretty big compared to the 12mm one the LS engine uses (with the plug in the passenger head). I didn't feel comfortable drilling the head while it was installed on the engine (even with it on an engine stand). I have an adapter made to install the 1/2 NPT sender into the 12mm plug hole but after hearing about Glock35s leaking I was looking for alternatives. I was also concerned about having air in the adapter. I am going to try to use both at first to see if the gauge readings are different. In the end I figure a waterpump is cheaper than a head to replace if it doesn't work?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
The temp sensor for my gauge is 1/2 NPT which is pretty big compared to the 12mm one the LS engine uses (with the plug in the passenger head). I didn't feel comfortable drilling the head while it was installed on the engine (even with it on an engine stand). I have an adapter made to install the 1/2 NPT sender into the 12mm plug hole but after hearing about Glock35s leaking I was looking for alternatives. I was also concerned about having air in the adapter. I am going to try to use both at first to see if the gauge readings are different. In the end I figure a waterpump is cheaper than a head to replace if it doesn't work?
Thanks! Keep plugging away, you're on the downhill slide!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
eagleuh1

Looking good. Progress is always good. HartRod beat me to the question. I wonder if the output from stock senders for LS is same as the guage sender. Engine looks good.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Looking good. Progress is always good. HartRod beat me to the question. I wonder if the output from stock senders for LS is same as the guage sender. Engine looks good.
No they are not. I have about ten different temp senders from the stock to the 3/8NPT found in 70s-80s 350s to the 1/2NPT that comes stock on our 350s. These senders work on resistance that either increase or decreases as it gets hotter. None of the ones I tested (and I also asked on other forums and emailed manufacturers of temp senders (to see if they could make me one))were even close. If there was something somewhat close that reduced resistance when heat was added you could add a resistor at the gauge. I spent weeks researching and could not find anything that would work. I have found there are a few options.

1-Use an aftermarket gauge and they have 12mm senders (or at least decent adapters to make it work).

2-Drill the passenger head for the sender (my engine has 5 miles on it so I didn't want to pull the head to drill or drill it installed on the engine). If the head was coming off for any reason I would definately have it drilled for 1/2NPT

3-Use an adapter. I have one and will tell everyone how it works out. (going to use both and swap the wire between the senders)

4-There is a 3 wire senser used in some Fbody camaros that fits in the 12mm hole. 2 wires go to the PCM and the third goes to the gauge. You would need to find a guage that worked with that senders resistance.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
No they are not. I have about ten different temp senders from the stock to the 3/8NPT found in 70s-80s 350s to the 1/2NPT that comes stock on our 350s. These senders work on resistance that either increase or decreases as it gets hotter. None of the ones I tested (and I also asked on other forums and emailed manufacturers of temp senders (to see if they could make me one))were even close. If there was something somewhat close that reduced resistance when heat was added you could add a resistor at the gauge. I spent weeks researching and could not find anything that would work. I have found there are a few options.

1-Use an aftermarket gauge and they have 12mm senders (or at least decent adapters to make it work).

2-Drill the passenger head for the sender (my engine has 5 miles on it so I didn't want to pull the head to drill or drill it installed on the engine). If the head was coming off for any reason I would definately have it drilled for 1/2NPT

3-Use an adapter. I have one and will tell everyone how it works out. (going to use both and swap the wire between the senders)

4-There is a 3 wire senser used in some Fbody camaros that fits in the 12mm hole. 2 wires go to the PCM and the third goes to the gauge. You would need to find a guage that worked with that senders resistance.

Do you have a part number for #4?

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 03-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
[/B]

Do you have a part number for #4?

Its in this thread
Old 05-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Thealien

Just an update. I had the engine running and moved the Jimmy under its own power yesterday. There is still lots to do ie: permanently mount the DBW pedal (and cut and weld my original pedal to it). Mount the PCM, TAC, heat and AC hoses, glove box, dash, cruise. and have the exhaust installed. I still have 2 anoying leaks that I can't seem to stop???!!

My thermostat housing leaks between the pump and housing. I have removed and replaced it 3 times and it still drips . I am thinking the housing may be bad? I may just replace the whole water pump/thermostat housing eventually.

My power steering pump is dripping from the fitting on the back (I swapped my 1972 fitting with the 2005 fitting so I could use my original hoses). I will have to pull the fitting, compare with the 2005 one and find a fix or go the AN route with the 2005 pump fitting.

But it runs
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Just an update. I had the engine running and moved the Jimmy under its own power yesterday. There is still lots to do ie: permanently mount the DBW pedal (and cut and weld my original pedal to it). Mount the PCM, TAC, heat and AC hoses, glove box, dash, cruise. and have the exhaust installed. I still have 2 anoying leaks that I can't seem to stop???!!

My thermostat housing leaks between the pump and housing. I have removed and replaced it 3 times and it still drips . I am thinking the housing may be bad? I may just replace the whole water pump/thermostat housing eventually.

My power steering pump is dripping from the fitting on the back (I swapped my 1972 fitting with the 2005 fitting so I could use my original hoses). I will have to pull the fitting, compare with the 2005 one and find a fix or go the AN route with the 2005 pump fitting.

But it runs

Congrats on getting it running. I ended up buying a standard to metric fitting to put on the gearbox and used the 2006 hoses. I hope I don't have an issue. I may have an extra thermostat housing. My radiator was built with the lower hose connection matching the Corvette/Camaro thermostat housing, which apparently is smaller than the truck ones.