The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Thoughts on starting a project... Looking for input. 71 C10 Long Fleet

Well, since I've been a member of this site for going on 8 years now, I figure it's about damned time I at least start thinking about getting at least one of my two projects going.

Unfortunately, I'm in Iraq at the moment, so for at least a little while pictures will be few and far between.

The truck in question is a 1971 C10 LWB fleetside, steel bed floor, 350/350, PB, PS, originally had A/C (most of which is missing at the moment). I call the truck "Patches" and the fiancee calls it "Rusty", so "Ratches" it is.

I'm not looking to buy or trade for anything from any of you. Not yet, anyway. Rest assured, when I get more of an idea about exactly what the heck I'm going to be doing with this thing I will subscribe once again. All I'm looking for at the moment is advice, thoughts, ideas, and possibly words of encouragement.

A PB Dropmember (or two ) is definitely in my future, just not on this vehicle and probably not for a while yet. I'm looking at either keeping stock height or a fairly simple drop, probably on the close order of a 4/6 static. Maybe not even that low, I honestly don't know what kind of options I have at the moment. All I know is that I don't want to slam this truck to the pinchwelds . That'll be for another project at another time.

So, anyway, with way too much time on my hands I've been looking at various kits (ok, ok, actually drooling all over myself at pretty much everything) on the CPP, ECE, and Porterbuilt websites.

So, this is (so far) a very small part of what I've been looking at:

Complete Front/Rear disc brake kit from CPP:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6366FRBK5.htm
Thoughts - The truck already has front discs, but the whole system is completely worn down to scrap. The spindles are beat up, the LCA's are beat up, somebody tried to install a front end rebuild kit from LMC and felt rushed. So it didn't get completed the right way, and now this random person wants to redo most of the work, and do it the right way. The safe way.

CPP "Grand Slam" static drop and front brake upgrade kit:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...6772GSK-5D.htm
Thoughts - Pretty much the same as above. But it doesn't include the rear disc conversion. I'm trying to get an idea about how much it will cost to more or less combine the two kits, but am having trouble with the website from over here.

The trailing arms on the truck are beat up and abused. But, although I would love to buy Nate's full suspension set-up, it isn't in the cards for this truck.

So, I'm looking at this rear suspension set-up, from ECE: http://www.earlyclassic.com/fullImag...on=912-6372TAC
Thoughts - I realize that it isn't anything spectacular, mainly it's just a cleaner, sturdier version of the stock suspension. But that's what I want for "Ratches". It won't be a show truck when I'm "done" (notice the quote marks - these things are never "done"), it will just be a fun old truck to play around with.

Has anyone installed this kit? If so, what are your thoughts? What are things I should be aware of?

I don't know how to weld, at all, in any way, shape, or form. I would love to learn but haven't had the time. My bodyworking skills are slightly less than that of my welding skills and the only people I currently know in the area are unable to help. So the reason that I'm looking at all this bolt-on stuff is that doing major (or even minor, really) frame surgery is beyond my current capabilities.

I look forward to any advice, critiques, or criticism that any of you may offer. I have read this forum almost daily, always amazed at what Frizzle Fry, Nate Porter, Rokcrln, and the rest of you amazing fabricators are up to. I have also, at different times, have just about given up on the idea of ever driving the '68 again. And you people always give me the inspiration that it can be done.

Thank you for your time reading this long-as-hell post. I apologize, but I'm really excited to get back to work on these things!

Last edited by JVictor75; 05-22-2010 at 09:31 AM.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Deaol

Re: Thoughts on starting a project... Looking for input. 71 C10 Long Fleet

First off, welcome back to the 67-72s

Speaking from experience you can't go wrong with ECE products there are many threads with regards to their kits and they have probably the best support for our trucks. I personally have not used CPP suspension kits so I cannot give any insight there, but I am sure other will/can chime in.

When I selected the suspension for my 68' I ended up in the end going with a 4.5/6 and will be doing a mild c-notch in the rear, which is not necessary but I may want to toss a load or 2 in her so for the extra few hours of cutting and welding I decided to go this route.

If you want to drive the doors off of it.. hauling loads.. etc.. I find the stock ride height is perfect.. I ended up getting a 71' lwb JUST for this, I love these trucks and having one as a working truck is just that much sweeter.
My 71' is more or less the same setup you got, 350 / 4spd / 4.11s / PS etc.. I don't do any hwy driving just backroad hauling and farm use and it has never let me down.

So I think in the end you have to decide whether it is going to be something that comes out twice a month or something your going to be using everyday.. The kits you listed below from CPP are nice kits and will get you everything you need in one shot.. I would have a peek over at the suspension section and have a browse through there.. lots of educational posts to drool over

Good luck and have fun

Last edited by Deaol; 05-22-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Deaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Re: Thoughts on starting a project... Looking for input. 71 C10 Long Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaol View Post
First off, welcome back to the 67-72s
Oh, I never really left, lol. I've been lurking the entire time!

Quote:
Speaking from experience you can't go wrong with ECE products, there are many threads with regards to their kits and they have probably the best support for our trucks. I personally have not used CPP suspension kits so I cannot give any insight there, but I am sure others will/can chime in.
I have known about the quality of the components available for the companies you listed above for a long time now. This time it looks like I'm going to take everyone's advice this time and avoid other part companies *cough* LMC *cough*. After doing comparo shopping, they are so expensive! Especially for the quality of pieces that you receive!

Quote:
When I selected the suspension for my 68' I ended up in the end going with a 4.5/6 and will be doing a mild c-notch in the rear, which is not necessary but I may want to toss a load or 2 in her so for the extra few hours of cutting and welding I decided to go this route.

If you want to drive the doors off of it.. hauling loads.. etc.. I find the stock ride height is perfect.. I ended up getting a 71' lwb JUST for this, I love these trucks and having one as a working truck is just that much sweeter.
My 71' is more or less the same setup you got, 350 / 4spd / 4.11s / PS etc.. I don't do any hwy driving just backroad hauling and farm use and it has never let me down.
I'm with you there. The '71 is going to be mainly used for general "truck" purposes. Maybe the occasional show n shine, but I'm not looking for anything spectacular. Trips to Lowe's, hauling the occasional motorcycle, etc. Mainly built to have fun and drive the wheels off of it. Looks like it's going to stay at stock ride height for now.

Quote:
So I think in the end you have to decide whether it is going to be something that comes out twice a month or something you're going to be using everyday.. The kits you listed below from CPP are nice kits and will get you everything you need in one shot.. I would have a peek over at the suspension section and have a browse through there.. lots of educational posts to drool over

Good luck and have fun
Thank you for the input!
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote