The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
slugish
Slugish

Wink decided to suck in my rear bumper. Help!

After looking at that great gap between my bumper & tail gate for 7 years now , Ive decided to do something about it . Have gone back & forth with roll pan solving the problem , but I think it looks the best on trucks lower in the rear than mine. Anyway are there any threads on a good way to do this . Questions :1. How far do you go in witout interfering with tail gate opening & closing ? 2. do you drill holes in bumper bracket or the frame ?
3. Do you still use both brackets > looks like one will hit the frame if you go back just a little
4. Can Ido this by myself?
5. I guess you would have to leave the bumper itself on the brackets so you could eyeball it before you bolted down .
I know this has been discussed to death on the forum , but hasve never senn any details on the procedure.

Thanks for helping out an old fart .
Will
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Re: decided to suck in my rear bumper. Help!

Bigarmzz did this to the truck I have now before I bought it. Looks like new holes were drilled in the frame and it only has the 2 outer brackets installed currently. Good luck bud.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

Measure how far exactly you want it to go in, giving just enough gap to not chip any paint (about a pinky or so),then just cut rear portion of the frame off mainly where you need the clearance, and drill the holes in the frame that much more forward. wouldnt hurt to go a bit bigger on the holes just to give more upper adjustment.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
slugish
Slugish

Thanks guys !
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightowl73 View Post
Measure how far exactly you want it to go in, giving just enough gap to not chip any paint (about a pinky or so),then just cut rear portion of the frame off mainly where you need the clearance, and drill the holes in the frame that much more forward. wouldnt hurt to go a bit bigger on the holes just to give more upper adjustment.
Cut the frame!!! ???

I would just elongate the holes on the brackets, and slide them back on the frame (along with the bumper obviously). If you have HD leafs, then you can't simply slide the brackets back (rear hanger is in the way)...you'll have to trim the end of the brackets then slide them back.

The frame will not get in the way of tucking in a bumper, the brackets stick out well beyond it, so you only need to modify them.

To tuck the front bumper, you will need to trim the frame however.

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-23-2010 at 06:58 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote