The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
charx2

67 Front crossmember bends when....

Ok, so here's the story. Bought a 67 c10 step bagged with 383 stroker. Well, it's just a 350 I think and the bags were done by someone who didn't know exactly what they were doing. Well I just found that someone must have slammed the truck while it was in motion resulting in this....
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
My question is more like a cry for help. I have been looking at it and it looks like I will have to remove the engine and basically everything in front of the cab to change it out. Anyone have any advice or knowledge they would be willing to share?? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by charx2; 05-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
charx2

Re: 67 Front crossmember bends when....

wow, anyone?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
gkesseru

Hard to tell from these pictures. No need to pull the sheetmetal. If it's just the lower control arm shaft and bushings, then it's not too bad. If it's the crossmember that messed up, then you will have to pull the engine. Once the engine is pulled, you can unbolt the entire front suspension in one piece by removing the 14 bolts holding it to the frame. Of course, you will first have to disconnect the brakelines shocks and steering.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
charx2

It's the crossmember, you can see it buckled right where the lower a frame bolts to it. Can I leave the motor in and just jack it up to take the pressure off of the crossmember? Maybe jack it from the harmonic balancer and put a brace there until I reinstall the crossmember and stuff? I'm working from a carport, no garage unfortunately.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
71swb4x4

Those pictures are horrible. Can you use a flash, or put a light on it?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
charx2

Ya, it's the camera, I'll use another camera hold on...
This is the left side that's bent, hope it's better.

This is the right side, what it's supposed to look like

Old 05-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
charx2

Can you see how the cross is buckled? The "accident" caused the lower a frame to slide back against the cross and buckle it.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
blazerboy72

It can be done with the engine in but not very easily. Let me know if you need a chopped crossmember.
blazerboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

Perfect time to step up to a Dropmember!

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Pulling the engine is really no big deal. It's like 30 bolts and 3 wires. You would hate yourself if you didn't pull it, trust me. Plus, you can paint it up nice while you have it out.

Edit-Ok, so maybe like 6 wires

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL

Last edited by dieselarmy13; 05-22-2010 at 04:22 PM.
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
charx2

I wish I could afford a Dropmember. I work for the city around here. Money and time are low. This truck will probably be complete when my son turns driving age. He's 11 months now lol.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
charx2

Is it hard to disconnect it from the trans? That's what scares me. This is my first project anything and I'm still learning. I can't afford to pay someone to do these things for me so I try to be very careful with what I do which ends up taking me a lot longer. Not to mention trying to research it before I try to tackle. I'm still in that stage. I don't even have a engine hoist but I will have to find one because that motor is going to come out and get prettied up while I do this.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
msgross

I would be more worried about the half work lower A-arm... looks like someone have been grinding them off going down the highway!

I assume that your alignment is FUBAR too... I would save up some money for awhile, find a replacement crossmember and replace the lower suspension parts as well. Do it right the first time...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
charx2

Yeah, the alignment is bad. I will probably end up saving some money. I start college in the fall and the VA pays me to go to school on top of paying my tuition and fees. So I might be able to save some of that for a dropmember which is what I really need. It will be so hard working on this truck under a car port! I guess it could be worse though, could have nothing but a parking lot!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

LOL I have a gravel patch of dirt and used 2 picnic tables as saw horses to hold my frame up while I POR-15 it. It can be done if you want it bad enough. Rob
19stepSide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charx2 View Post
Is it hard to disconnect it from the trans? That's what scares me. This is my first project anything and I'm still learning. I can't afford to pay someone to do these things for me so I try to be very careful with what I do which ends up taking me a lot longer. Not to mention trying to research it before I try to tackle. I'm still in that stage. I don't even have a engine hoist but I will have to find one because that motor is going to come out and get prettied up while I do this.
Those previously mentioned 30 bolts include the ones holding the engine to the trans and the flywheel to the torque converter. As for the actual count of bolts and wires, that was just a humorous guess, but is probably close. Pulling your first engine can be intimidating, but once it's done you will realize it's not that big of a deal. The best thing to do is to put all of your nut's and bolts into marked plastic baggies and take pics as you go. You can rent a engine hoist form most any parts stores and friends can be bought for about a 12 pack a day.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
mdwilf

I don't know if you have your heart set on staying with 6 lugs or not, but the cheapest way to fix your problem is to find a junk or junky early 70s & up chevy truck that you can buy for a few hundred dollars, yank the whole front crossmember & suspension from it (as mentioned above very easy, 14 bolts & the steering stuff), then take it to the scrapper & get most (or all) of your money back.

You might even find something that someone needs hauled off & get it for free, do some digging - drive around & hunt you up a parts truck & maybe even make a little money in the process!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilf View Post
I don't know if you have your heart set on staying with 6 lugs or not, but the cheapest way to fix your problem is to find a junk or junky early 70s & up chevy truck that you can buy for a few hundred dollars, yank the whole front crossmember & suspension from it (as mentioned above very easy, 14 bolts & the steering stuff), then take it to the scrapper & get most (or all) of your money back.

You might even find something that someone needs hauled off & get it for free, do some digging - drive around & hunt you up a parts truck & maybe even make a little money in the process!
GREAT ADVICE JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #19
gkesseru

I bought a 81 parts tuck for 500, used the entire front suspension and power disk brake setup for my 68, parted the rest and ended up making a good profit. Early 80's trucks are still in good shape but seem to be pretty cheap.
00 F150
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
gkesseru

BTW, I think somebody already used a newer lower control arm on your truck. My 67 had grease fittings on the end of the control arm shafts and had much bigger nuts on the end of the bushing.
00 F150
Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
charx2

I have front discs from a early 80 chevy i believe. But it's disc up front and drum in back all 5 lug. I found a guy who will sell me the xmember and the lower (original) a frames for $100 pulled and delivered to me. I think that sure beats sitting in the AL heat in a junk yard fighting who knows what to get the xmember off. I'm very intimidated about pulling the engine. Not sure if I should pull the engine & trans, or dissconnect the trans and pull the engine. Should I take off grill and radiator? Fenders?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
charx2

Also, those are somewhat new A frames, so now I may have newer tube top a frames and old original lowers...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
michael bustamante

you could use a cherry picker and just lift the engine enought to get to the bolts of the crossmember to replace it without seperating the trans. just limited in space
Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #24
SCOTI

Personally, I think you would be better off pulling the engine/trans as a unit as that will limit the amount of mechanical 'experience' needed vs. separating the two & properly reconnecting them.

$100 for a c.member & lower arms delivered to you isn't too bad. Of course, free is better but you have to work w/your options....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
charx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
$100 for a c.member & lower arms delivered to you isn't too bad. Of course, free is better but you have to work w/your options....
Free is my favorite word but man it's been so hot out here and it's only May! I think I'm going to buy a hoist from harbor frieght and just pull the motor and dress it and the engine bay up a bit while it's all out.