The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
C10Silverado79

Replace turn signal lever with multi-function stem?

I haven't found anything with a search so does anyone know if you can retro-fit a multi-function stem like this to and older truck or do you have to swap out the steering column to make it work? I'd like to get the wiper functions up off the dash board.

C10Silverado79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Re: Replace turn signal lever with multi-function stem?

I think it would be easier to swap collumns. Get one from the salvage yard and when you remove it, get all the plugs that attach to the column with as much extra wire attached to those plugs as possible. Then you are going to have figure out how to wire the new pigtails into your current harness. You will be able to eleminate the floor mounted dimmer switch as well. You may run into probs on the wipers, I am not sure if the wiring is the same between post and pre 80 trucks and am sure it is different if you try to add on intermittent wipers..
Good Luck!

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Re: Replace turn signal lever with multi-function stem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westofb View Post
I think it would be easier to swap columns. Get one from the salvage yard and when you remove it, get all the plugs that attach to the column with as much extra wire attached to those plugs as possible. Then you are going to have figure out how to wire the new pigtails into your current harness. You will be able to eliminate the floor mounted dimmer switch as well. You may run into probs on the wipers, I am not sure if the wiring is the same between post and pre 80 trucks and am sure it is different if you try to add on intermittent wipers..
Good Luck!
Yep find an 84 model(first year for the multi function switch) in a wrecking yard and get the column,wiring harness both under the dash and under the hood as well as the wiper motor and the washer fluid reservoir. This way you've got everything you're gonna need to make the swap as easy as possible.
Keep the floor mounted dimmer switch in place and wire it up as an ignition interrupt switch to keep any would be dirt-bags from driving off with your ride.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote