The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
c10Mang

1965 windshield installtaion?

Hey Guys,

I am picking up my ride, and I know this has been discussed a bunch. But wanted to know what you guys thought? Right now i have my glass, and rubbers and wanted to know how hard it is to put the windshield myself with the string method? Or should I just pay someone to do it? I am also going to be painting it again in month or two when I have the money together so it might need to come out again.. I just want to drive it!!

Thanks!!
c10Mang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: 1965 windshield installtaion?

my dad and his friend put the back window in his 55 car using that method, 2 keys are to make sure the rubber is nice and pliable... maybe leave it out in the sun for a couple of hours, the other is they used lots of lube to help the rubber slip over the edge.
I think it was just soap and water, but not sure...
also you probably need some one to help you put pressure on the window as you pull the string to get the rubber over the lip.

I hasve only broken one good windshield by trying to push and peel the rubber to try to take it out. ever since then I have not risked the expensive glass, and have just cut the rubber. so I would plan on buying another gasket for when you repaint.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

If your painting it, I would wait to install it, and it was well worth the 100 bucks I paid to have mine installed.........

But you can do it with a 1/4" rope, a can of silicone spray, and a lot of patience......

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
hossmann

If it were me id wait and pay to have someone else install it that knows what theyre doing or shoot the opening then put the windshield in because the more you handle it the likly it will break Speaking from experience